all dressed up don't know where to go

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i got ti wire, clips, tsp, distilled water, and of course, a recently completed variable power supply. it will deliver up to 170 volts dc. but, i want to anodize as others have done, to colorize some hand engraving.
those that do this, what do you use to blacken outlines that won't mess up the anodizing ? i don't have too much flat ti stock right now, and don't want to get off on the wrong foot wasting what i do have. if you can be of help, tyvm. i've checked here and youtube as well. no real answer. :confused:

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you mess up the ti... sand off the anodizing and go again, very easy, very light surface finish easily removed. I used fingerprint oil based ink in mine last but I did find it had a slight affect on the anodizing because I have to rub so at it to get it off probably. Maybe thinned down flat black rustoleum would be the go just wiped off by hand like Sam Alfano does in his video. Best way I can think of monk.

Can your power supply survive shorts? If not make sure you put heat shrink or something over the wires so they never contact with the metal.

monk

Staff member
.thanks, dani girl. i've experimented with brush plating, electroforming, and electroetching-- just fiddling around. did a few knife blades and such. that was all done with "junk equipment" compared to the unit i recently cobbled together. i am up to speed on the mechanics of using this type of equipment. as for adding the blackening after the fact, i thought you may have done it before the anodizing. i have the fingerprint ink ( sirchie). knowing the properties of the stuff-- i think i may well try the rustoleum way. a much faster dry time.
thanks so much for giving me a bit of direction. highly appreciated.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
hey monk, the only anodizing I have done so far I did not add any black outlines. If I did I would also use the enamel vs the ink. Sounds like you have yourself a pretty good setup. look forward to seeing some of your work!

monk

Staff member
so far, the brains of the process are the only thing i have to show. i'm still waiting on ti wire, and have also ordered a supply of ti sheet. this beast was made with a variac, and diode rectifier- along with some other goodies. the box i got very recently-- was a perfect fit. the power cord had to be run up thru the top, as there was no other way to cram it all in the steel box. the very top plate i cut from an old stop sign from the junkyard. it is .125 aluminum

Attachments

• ANODIZER.JPG
    ANODIZER.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 149
  • ANODIZER BOX.JPG
    ANODIZER BOX.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My only other tip would be using a really really small cheap brush for the nail polish to mask off the areas... easy under a microscope. Try not to go over your lines, let me know when you find a good way of getting rid of it when you eventually do..

And can't wait to see what you do monk

Danae.

Jahn Baker

Elite Cafe Member
Monk, I've given up trying to blacken Ti, and have taken to using a contrasting anodized color for outlines. By working from high voltage first, then cutting more design and applying lower voltage you can realize several different colors on a piece. Hope this helps.

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
Does it have to be titanium? Niobium is easy to form and colors as well as titanium but the big bonus is the ability to create black by oxidation. After cutting your black areas, the whole thing will go black and then you have to expose by removing the oxides one at a time (the sections to be anodized) from the highest to the lower voltages. Above about 110 volts then the "order" of color will repeat starting with gold (no lower order blues) but the thickness of the coating will increase but brightness of color will become more muddy.

monk

Staff member
ah, perhaps i didn't use the right "word approach". specifically what i want to do is be able to design on paper, bring it to the proper size, and do an outline in the form of a transfer. a transfer outline in black or dark color. i would then want the transfer to remain more or less intact to survive the anodizing process. i would then want the outline to remain as part of the design. am i living in la-la land, or can this be done ? i'm now blessed with a brand new brother laser printer, as well as an ancient hp.

Latest posts

Sponsors