Homemade pneumatic graver

jkoper

I just finished building my pneumatic graver.Here is a picture with the first practice plate I've cut with it. It works alot better than I do LOL.

Attachments

• airgraver.jpg
    airgraver.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 719

jkoper

It's loosely based on the airgraver, but the piston doesn't idle. It has a spring that keeps the piston in the forward position until the air flow is triggered. It operates off straight compressed air. The air consumption seams pretty good, I've been running it from a 3 gal portable air tank and get about 30 mins or so between fill ups. I made it with a fixed stroke just to simplify construction.It's not a gravermach or airgraver but I've been pleasantly surprised with the performance so far.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
very, very cool ! how long to produce ? i mean designing, machining-etc ?

Dirtdigger

Your engraver looks really good! Sounds like we have ended up pretty much the same inner bits in our gravers. I have a spring in there allso.
What steel did you use? Mine is made from 303.

IMG_4459.jpg

jkoper

very, very cool ! how long to produce ? i mean designing, machining-etc ?

Thanks Monk
I piddled with it here and there for about a week. All together I have maybe 8 hours into it, but I am a Tool & Die maker/Tooling designer with access to 2 fully equipped machine shops (work and home). That helps alot :biggrin: .

Jim

jkoper

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Dirtdigger, I used 304 stainless for the body and hardened O-1 for the piston and tool holder. I just wish drawing and engraving came as naturally to me as machining does.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I admire your ingenuity. I'm sure it's very satisfying to make your own handpiece. Congrats!

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the compliments everyone. Dirtdigger, I used 304 stainless for the body and hardened O-1 for the piston and tool holder. I just wish drawing and engraving came as naturally to me as machining does.

You have more "artist" in you than you give yourself credit for the Gentleman that is my mentor/instructor/good friend is the same in the machine shop he 'sees' the end product in a chunk of steel is able to carve it out using any CNC and or manual machine its just a whole different type of art now stop selling yourself short and get ta drawing!!!!

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Good looking job....Did you use a o-ring in the wood handle for air pressure sealing??.....I have some hard wood and though about turning a new handle for my Lindsey Classic and the o-ring seemed like the best approach....
Sometime ago I saw a home made air graver made out of pipe fittings by a gentleman in I believe South America.....It worked to some degree but it just goes to show you if there is a will there is a way.....

Bob

jkoper

Good looking job....Did you use a o-ring in the wood handle for air pressure sealing??.....I have some hard wood and though about turning a new handle for my Lindsey Classic and the o-ring seemed like the best approach....
Sometime ago I saw a home made air graver made out of pipe fittings by a gentleman in I believe South America.....It worked to some degree but it just goes to show you if there is a will there is a way.....

Bob

I didn't use any o-rings, I used a pipe plug on the handle end.

lines

Wow I am wondering if I could do what you did on my small sureline lathe. Great work there's no stopping you!

Bob

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Dl10tZnLU[/video]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors