about to purchase sharpening system

Big_Rick

So I got a little delivery from grs tools today. Time to start putting in work. Thank you for all the feedback I received. I'm humbled to have received feedback from some heavy hitters in the game. I've studied many of your works, I've seen many of your youtube videos, and some of you I follow on instagram. Thank you.

if you're on instagram hit me up: bigrick1964

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
I finally pulled the trigger today and bought a GRS Dual angle Fixture. Bought off eBay. My net cost with shipping, and minus the special offer from Ebay of 5X "Ebay Bucks" which is basically a rebate, which I will use since I buy off Ebay regularly, is $217.66. And the fixture is brand new, from a GRS distributor. If I don't like it, or am going broke, should not be hard to net $140.00 (maybe more) for it if I sold it here or on Ebay, without a lot of time or effort. Quality engraving tools have good and quick resale value. Whether it is GRS, Lindsay, Enset, etc.

I have a Crocker tool, a GRS one angle fixture, a Hamler fixture, about 6 Lindsay templates. After buying the single angle GRS fixture sold off quickly and easily about $125.00 worth of older, flawed design sharpening fixtures, some made more for watchmakers lathe work. The used GRS single angle cost me about $75.00 on Ebay. It is really great move for me, and far better than the fixtures I sold. Great for watchmaker lathe gravers. Buying this fixture, and selling my various flawed fixtures to pay for it was really a good move.

But still kept the Crocker tool for some reason. It is the older one, better made than the newer ones. But don't really need it.

With engraving tools, like many have pointed out, there is no one best system for everyone.

The Lindsay system is great. The cheapest way to get perfect repeatable geometry. Don't need a power hone. Now can buy diamond stones real cheap on Ebay. Use the drill press system and a $15.00 coarse diamond disc to rough out the graver. Buy a $4.00 arbor from Home Depot etc. Downside for me is: none of the geometries are suitable for me as a hand pusher. But could make a custom template for me. Should not be too hard. 4 hours work? The other downside for me is I have tons of older gravers, not sized for the template system. Most are carbon steel, but for me, are fine. So to use the Lindsay template I would have to buy new graver blanks. A beginner using air power or Hammer and chisel should work with only one geometry until he learns what that geometry can do and not do. He does not need, or should use more than one geometry starting out. And additional templates are not expensive. And Steve Lindsay is a great guy and could not be more helpful to a new or experienced engraver.

The Hamler fixture is a great tool if you use modern sized graver blanks like the Lindsay template system uses. Easily make parallel heels. Or can use to make infinite geometries like the GRS dual Angle fixture. But is designed to be used with a power hone or a drill press system. Theoretically can be used with stones but not easy. (same as GRS fixtures).

Bought the GRS Dual Angle because it can make geometries for hand pushing. Already have a power hone. Can I think sharpen a range of graver sizes. If it works for me, I will probably sell the Hamler fixture. Will keep the Lindsay templates in case I take up Hammer and chisel. Or make a custom template for my hand pushing geometry. But would have to buy modern sized graver blanks.

On another note, many people complain about the high cost of of taking up engraving. Yes, if you want to earn a living off engraving in a two or three year time frame, expect to pay $15,000 and up for tools, lessons, books etc. Plus a whole alot of time. And also, the time and expense does not guarantee you anything. But that is true with other trades also. But that is still cheap compared to many other trades. But if you are a hobbyist like me, it is possible to be well equipped for hand pushing or hammer and chisel for next to nothing. By trading time for money. I figure that my engraving hobby has cost me nothing. My buying and selling of engraving tools etc has paid for everything I have and then some, and I am pretty happy with what I have in tools, books, etc. But I have paid alot in time. But keep in mind I am not a really good engraver. But I really like doing it, even though my work is flawed, and not too advanced.

By keeping things simple as a hobbyist, you can really keep the costs down. As a example, I have a great Leica zoom microscope that I use for watch repair work. But have never used it for engraving. No need to. Point is, once you buy a expensive tool like air power, you will find the need to by other expensive tools. Just ask Carlos. Not knocking Carlos at all. He has come a very long way very quickly. Why? How? I think because he just loves engraving. And he has put alot of time and effort and thought into everything he does. And spends alot of time practicing, experimenting, reading, researching etc. That is far more important than having money to spend on tools.

And yet another note, thanks for everyone on this forum for helping me. I don't think I ever started a thread asking for help. But I have learned a tremendous amount of info from reading others helpful posts.

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
The Lindsay is not a completely "fixed" system, Otto Carter designed a template that lets you come up with about any geometry of graver that you can think of. They say it's not really for beginners, I am a beginner and I use it to come up with different gravers all the time, some work well and some not that great. It's fun to try and it teaches you a little about graver geometry along the way with it's trial-and-error style. Just my 2 cents.
thanks
Joey

Latest posts

Sponsors