Design progression

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Sam for this tutorial. As I look at it, I think that one of the keys to learning to design this way is first to dissect each of the design elements that create the whole, rather than simply copying the whole process at once. At least that is the way I learn best. Understanding the flow is another aspect of designing this way.

To illustrate what I mean, here are three of the elements I will work on.

Attachments

• Acanthus style scroll drawing progression-Sam Alfano-E3.jpg
    Acanthus style scroll drawing progression-Sam Alfano-E3.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 192
  • Acanthus style scroll drawing progression-Sam Alfano-E1.jpg
    Acanthus style scroll drawing progression-Sam Alfano-E1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Acanthus style scroll drawing progression-Sam Alfano-E2.jpg
    Acanthus style scroll drawing progression-Sam Alfano-E2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 192

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks Sam for this tutorial. As I look at it, I think that one of the keys to learning to design this way is first to dissect each of the design elements that create the whole, rather than simply copying the whole process at once. At least that is the way I learn best. Understanding the flow is another aspect of designing this way.

To illustrate what I mean, here are three of the elements I will work on.

That's a good way to approach it, Roger. I'm a big believer in practicing ornamental elements.

scroll_elements_practice.jpg

Flatsguide

Sam thank you for posting this tutorial. From this I can see that one requires a large vocabulary of elements...that takes time and study. Regarding the first sketch shown above, was that just a quick " feel good" light sketch of flowing lines without the final outcome in mind or did you "see" the end product.
Thanks Richard

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
Sam thank you for this progression! Would you go over how you layout the backbone of a scroll design and some standard do and don't elements? This is the kind of stuff new people are looking for when they come to this forum.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for posting this thread, and for the others that participated, as I'm trying my best to get beyond basic scrolls. It is much more difficult than I had originally imagined as I need to, "MUST," get over my many years of well earned habits. Sometimes I think I'm my worst enemy in design structure.

Bill

Andrew Biggs

I'm trying my best to get beyond basic scrolls. It is much more difficult than I had originally imagined as I need to, "MUST," get over my many years of well earned habits. Sometimes I think I'm my worst enemy in design structure.

Yes...sometimes we are our own worst enemy with this type of thing. Learning the basics is essential and breaking down the elements as Roger has pointed out is part of that process. Once you have dissected the parts you can then put them back together again in any order. Sort of like mix and matching.

One thing I think we can be guilty of is over thinking everything way to much. There can be a tendency to get bogged down in the detail from the beginning and miss the bigger picture. Fear of getting something wrong can be a prohibitive force in your design and hold you back. This can make the design lifeless and stale.

If you look at Sam's very first drawing it is a basic main line and everything else flows from that. If you have a selection of leaf/flower shapes in your head it is then just a matter of adjusting them to make them fit. In other words, bending them to fit the desired canvas. This comes from practice, research and study.

It was mentioned elsewhere that learning to "see" is an essential part of good design. That is so true. It's not an arbitrary thing and an eye of the beholder thing or a matter of personal taste. You must divorce yourself from personal taste and study good design in whatever field you desire to pursue. If you study good design this will eventually show in your own work. The opposite is also true. There are many artisans out there that follow their own personal tastes and are destined for the scrap heap. The successful artisans take basic principles of layout and design and then put them together in such a way that it becomes pleasing to the eye. There are exceptions to this rule but not many.

Scrolls and leaves are a great medium to carry just about any design that you wish in the engraving field. Leaves can be anything from acanthus to bananas if you so desire. The scrolls don't have to be necessarily visible in the final design. The variations are endless.

And always remember to keep the whole deal in context with the subject, which is engraving. Not painting, pottery or macrame. They all have their own different paradigms.

Cheers
Andrew

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Paul Hammler put together a "dictionary of elements" if you will while he was layed up from a motorcycle accident. Very good reference and study guide. Fred

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Here's the progression of how I work up a design that's not typical scrollwork. This is more of an arabesque leafy acanthus style or whatever you want to call it.

I'm pretty sure this style is either "Alfanobesque" or "Samacanthus" ;)

Donny

Sponsors