FYI: How do you pronounce the Japanese word "Meiji"?

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is a short clip I edited from a Japanese candy commercial from a company with the same name. It's pronounced in three syllables: "May-ee-gee" :confused::biggrin:

Click Here: [video]http://gra.midco.net/martin/engraving/meiji.mp4[/video]

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
And you were wandering around in Japanese candy commercials because... it's part of learning a new language?

It may be the long cold North Dakota winters... I was researching the proper pronunciation of the popular Meiji microscope and found the name is also the Emperor Meiji the 122nd Emperor of Japan. It's also used several other places including Meiji Co. Ltd. who produce snacks and candies. I found a Meiji candy commercial on YouTube that I snagged the clip from. It was also interesting that they had a cute gal in the commercial named Sayo Aizawa: :)

SayoAizawa.jpg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
doc: did you forget,?-- this is a family oriented place. i thot i was suffering from cabin fever ! as a mod, i'm going to be ever watchful of yer posts !

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I grew up on Guam. My father was stationed there in the Air Force. Took Japanese in high school 9-11...you can break down the words by their Kanji so this would be three Kanji as Doc said above :) Funny thing is our family moved to GFAFB Grand Forks ND after Guam!!!! Did one year at UND and joined the Air Force myself...have never been back since.

Donny

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I have a favorite Japanese candy, it used to be called Botan Ame, it's still being made by the same co. They're little cubes of jellied rice and wrapped in an edible clear cellophane like wrapper and it used to come with a toy in a separate box. It might be called Botan Rice Candy now, it's been a couple years but I always buy it when I see it.