Newbie graver question

MrBrendan

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It might be because because the round shank shorter gravers are less expensive to produce than the longer square blanks.

MrBrendan

So no positive or negative to the metal quality or type. Interesting.

So if i were to purchase say the Monarch or 901 handpiece, what does one need to attach the square blanks?

Thank you for the quick response. Your videos have really pointed me in the right direction.

Sam

Staff member
Be sure to get the appropriate size QC holders for the round shank gravers you're buying.
If you're using the EasyGraver sharpening fixtures you're good to go. If you use the Dual Angle fixture you should get the new QC adapter for it as it's impossible to relocate round shank gravers when sharpening.

The 901 is by far the most versatile of the GRS handpieces.

MrBrendan

If there is no difference i guess i'll head in the direction of the precut. Thanks for the tip on the QC holders!

What a great forum this is to get questions answered so quickly. :)

Sam

Staff member
GRS has been developing the round shank gravers for awhile now. They're pretty much good to go as far as length and they've done a lot of the shaping for us.
The 3/32" square blanks have to be shortened for 99% of users.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
I had a handful of round blanks from Sweden back when I began sharpening by hand and eyeball. After I obtained a sharpening fixture, I ground a flat on the shank of some of them so they would index in the fixture. The rest I made into punches.
The square blanks are better for precise sharpening.

Latest posts

Sponsors