a beginners. quest for equipment.

midmo9236

I have been reading countless hours of information on hefe and various site, the initial cost is a bit stagering but due to limitations I have a hammer and graver did not work for me. So I am sure this question has been asked a million times but what kind of air graver and handpiece does one get to get started and which is the way to hone the gravers?:tiphat:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Let me help you with that....

Search Button results (one of them) for graver sharpening.

Having trouble with gravers
http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?t=17150
Having trouble with gravers

Air gravers Lindsay, GRS, or Enset you cant go wrong, if you can't make it work, you can sell me the enset dont have one of those yet. Im trying Brian im tying.;)

search results for system...(one of the many)

lindsay classic palmcontrol or Grs Gravermach AT and why?

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?t=18302

lindsay classic palmcontrol or Grs Gravermach AT and why?

Saludos,
Carlos

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if the tool aint cutting correctly using a hammer-- this means you either need more practice cutting, or more practice sharpening. either way a lindsay tool is not going to solve yer problem. as for which way to sharpen, hone , etc-- there's many different geometries one can use. all depends on the material being cut, and the effect you're trying to achieve. i'd hold off buying equipment till you start taking notes on the information available here, and learn a bit of the mechanics in this art called engraving.
btw-- hammer and chisel work is the very cheapest approach to engraving. the grs & lindsay tools will still force you to learn many new things. good luck.

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
You said "because of limitations" the graver and hammer did not work for you. Are you talking about physical limitations? The startup cost is high, heck even the costs down the road are high but if you are serious about engraving you should look at your tools as an investment. And like Carlos said if they don't work out he will take them, or somebody will. I think him and Brian have some kind of friendly contest where they try to outdo each other in the tool department. There are many threads on sharpening gravers and geometries of gravers in this forum. There are countless threads about the different engraving systems. Go to the top of the page and click the "site search" button and type in what you want and all your questions will be answered. It just takes a little patience and a lot of reading.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I and many others used the Gravermiester(Self-contained aircompressor/vacuum pump), Gravermac. both great tools shouldn't be hard to find on the used market. Many fantastic pieces created using both machines. The Chinese are making knock-off of the Gravermac.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
If you are serious about engraving, take a class with someone who has a range of tools and choose for yourself.
If you have read the various posts from the different fora this suggestion has been made many, many times. :tiphat:

Roger

midmo9236

My limitations are nerve problems due to a accident, I impaled my spinal cord on a bone spur. I tried to use a hammer and chiesel with a hard time getting the right strike strength due to lack of feeling. I would like to find someone near central Missouri and talk and maybe meet and get some tips. I have been gunsmithing for twenth year and always wanted to learn how to envrave. Thanks for the responses.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Be sure to check out the Tips Archive for the Tool List For Beginners. Great info in there.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ugh ! with a problem such as you mentioned-- i must eat my words. probably using the grs power assisted gravers would be the only option for you. sometimes bargains are to be had on ebay. but beware--!!! there are chinese air-assist tools shown there. they, for the most part, are a waste of money. certainly a waste for anyone wanting to get serious about their work.
a couple of years back, a friend bought a chinese plotter. just over 300 bucks. the deal also included 14 rolls of vinyl! a very enticing price. a few short days later, it broke down ! i ended up selling him a good plotter i had. for several hundred bucks. "quality always works".

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
If you are a gunsmith, you might be able to do a little trading. You know, skill for skill, you could restore some guns in trade for a couple engraving lessons. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Sponsors