Question: Lighting wood ?

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, this is sort of off track for the Forum but is indeed about engraving tools.

I decided to try using my Meiji scope for a carving. I have both GRS side lights (halogen) and a GRS ring light (diode) on the scope.

The problem comes in the form of washout when working with light colored material, bone, box wood, ect. :thinking:

The slide lights from GRS are in 2 colors one yellow and the other blue (sort of).I have tried combinations of all this lighting and still get enough wash out to hide small irregularities. Like hiding or if you will washing out tiny deviations or wavyness in what is supposed to be an even surface.

If anyone has something I might try I would be very grateful for any input. I do not have this problem with metal, just in stuff that has a bit of translucence.

Thanks in advance. :tiphat:

scott99

Last edited:

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Have you tried without the ring light?

Also try slightly dampening with water, or oiling the wood surface as you go along (don't actualky know if that will make a difference, just brainstorming)

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, thanks for the ideas, I use an Ott light away from the scope to carve I find it works great with a bit of side light. I only have the trouble with the scope. I will try an Ott light with the ring light on the scope turned off.

Thanks .
scott99

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you'll likely find a sweet spot simply adjusting the position of the light to eliminate the problem. when using my scope , i use a piece of tissue paper to diffuse the light. with the magnifocuser, i just flip the tissue out of the way.

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Scott You know I was having trouble with glare from LEDS and incandescent lighting ( direct bulb ), so I found a lab style fiber optics light source on ebay $50 and all my problems went away. Seems to really defuse the light.......

Bob

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, well thats all I have been using for my carvings,maybe a small lamp to the side. I just saw how much detail I could see engraving with a scope I wanted to try it for carving as well. I normally keep carving and engraving separate but have been working to combine the two. Thanks for the tip, might be sunlight is all that will do.

Thanks
scott99

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
nothin wrong with natural light. after all, our bodies and brains are programmed to use such. only one thing, if you like to engrave late at nite, like i do, you're out of business till next daylight. almost any light can be useful. this depends on how it is positioned and how diffuse it is. many here will admit to using old incandescent lights when they first began. paul revere used a candle for late nite work. how nice would that be ?

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, I have always used natural light for my carvings, to be honest I think it is the best light for the purpose. I am also one of the people using a 60 what bulb for light at 3 AM,( don't sleep all that well) that was a long time ago and I am very willing to use better light. I have been playing with all the comments and am getting some result. Next I will try filters over lighting to get a good effect. But it is all sort of falling in place a bit. Sorry to sound so picky.
But I can run up a lot of time into a carving and final finish will bring out the slightest waveness.

If I can get it down and am able to use my scope with accuracy it will be like a new open door.

Just a note, a very famous carver in the 17 century Japan used to sit in a light proof box with a tiny pin hole and only worked in the tiny spot light (so to speak) that passed thru the hole. He had someone to turn the box as the day went on. Now thats tough lighting but his work it fabulous.

Thanks to everybody for the input, it has put me on the track to get the scope working for carving translucent materials.

scott99.