Ink jet printer success, let it dry?

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
:thumbsup:I got the formula from Mikes post I have tried many different techniques and I am not trying to reinvent the wheel although I am glad I have provided some entertainment @ Dave if I was close enough I'd give you a cold can of (insert colorful explicative here!):shock::biggrin: I have laughed and cussed and tried again and cussed some more and still not giving up vellum doesn't work, a hairspray base on the transparency doesn't work, coating the transparency with the 'mix' doesn't work I can keep going about things that 'DONT WORK' once upon a time I told myself this was going to be a long learning curve and here we go the road is curving...I know the Pictorwhateverthefuncolorfulword transparencies work and will get some soon as I have a dandy bald spot where I've pulled my hair out but the wheel needs a dang update!!! has anyone tried MYLAR Drafting film? Duralar?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I believe you will find some of those materials "allergic" to the heated laser feed...

But go ahead and try! After all, the printers are cheap - and you may have use for some doorstops when the weather warms up?

My advice at this point - before you wind up in the rubber room - would be to get in your vehicle and go visit the nearest competent engraver you can find.

Yes, ask permission of course! Don't just show up on his or her doorstep.

Take along gifts. Beverages, delicacies, cash, whatever you think appropriate.

That way you will still be welcome next week when you find yourself in the next predicament.

Brian

Last edited:

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
Maybe I'm getting somewhere...

Work in progress.
I've never been happy nor have I bought into the idea that the only thing that would work for transfers is a printer that is no longer made and only available used on eBay and the only film that would work has also long ago passed into nonexistence. A couple years ago when I started trying to learn alla this crap I had pretty good success (but not great) with my HP 5650 printer and it's #56 ink. I messed around and found some 3M transparency film that worked...sorta. Long story short, life got in the way and I took a couple years off engraving and damn near everything else but work.
So I come back and nothing is better. The transfers I've been getting off the 5650 were, if anything worse. I've been following this conversation here and fooling around with all of the various suggestions but everything has really, in the end, sucked. Out of utter desperation, I decided to try the obvious. Changed over to to a newish printer (HP E910 ) that uses #920 ink tanks. I also changed over to the Pictorico film Premium OHP.
Both photos were from transfers with that film and I used the same "technique" with both. Coat the metal with "Transfer Magic" using a Q tip, blow on it, wait 5 minutes after I printed the film, and burnish with a steel burnishing tool. I used the "correct" according to the directions in the package, side of the film to print on. Now let's see if I can attach the photos...[ DSC_0001.jpg DSC_0002.jpg

The first one is the one made with the new printer and 920 ink. BTW- the file is readily available on the Lindsay site and I haven't messed with it just to make it easy for anyone to use the same thing.
I should mention that the transfer using the older printer was after I had done several messing around with printer settings and so on and was the best I could get. The one with the newer printer was first try out of the gate.

Last edited:

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
Outta the gate wins...

something that has
Brian

For sure. If you don't know the original, it's pretty rough. I need to do a test with something that has a high resolution but this looks very workable. Best of all I don't have to buy another printer if this really is good to go.

Latest posts

Sponsors