how good is a positioning vise for the cost

barney

does it work well when on an angle without the clutch slipping? can you ajust it on the fly without setting your graver down? Thanks Barney

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
As it comes, no. With a few tweaks, and some practice - yes you can slide over on the fly. (at least I wasn't able to use it that way "out of the box")

Since I am unable to use it at an angle anymore, I can't address that.

My movement is restricted by a sling that supports my engraving arm, so I leave it level to simplify things.

I seem to recall that it did slip some with heavy, massive, awkward or unbalanced pieces - but that was many many years ago... and I no longer do that kind of work.

Brian

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
as mentioned-- with heavier objects, it can be problematic. esp if much of the item extends out over the edge. the more the item extends out, the greater the problem. i can adjust mine on the fly. having said that, i replaced the original spring, with one that wasn't too tight. it will take a bit of getting used to, i mean moving the levers while actually engraving.
i have entertained the idea of adding "booster" bars to the levers. this would allow me to more easily manipulate the levers wile engraving. i think this vise is more useful to those using a scope, rather than magnifocusers.
in the tip section you'll find a few ways to do centering without the centering vise. check it out.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
In my opinion the low profile vise mounted on a turntable is a better system, but plenty of people use and love their positioning vises. My two biggest gripes are that it has a very limited travel that can't even get to the corner of a 2" practice plate, and that it requires you to move the locking handle to reposition. The low-profile vise on a turntable is much faster and has a lot more travel. But those who get used to the positioning vises use them and love 'em.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
I agree - the Positioning Vise is limited in its movement and has a somewhat restricted field of view under the microscope. Likewise, I love it for its weight and size. I can lock down barrels and larger/heavier/longer pieces for engraving, but I don't always use the scope for those.

For the smaller objects - including the smaller gun parts, knives and jewelry - I prefer the Low Profile on a turntable for use with the scope.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In my opinion the low profile vise mounted on a turntable is a better system, ... The low-profile vise on a turntable is much faster and has a lot more travel. ....

i've followed these discussions for years and if i understand this correctly, the eccentric adjustment basically involves pulling & pushing the entire vise & donut around on the turntable surface?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
@ Mitch: Yup...

Not as difficult or awkward as it sounds, but... yup.

Currently experimenting with the Lindsay Low Profile, using a cheaper turntable. (Gonna let Carlos buy that first - $400 turntables aren't in my horoscope at the moment)

It's interesting. I may actually switch over after a coupla months of playing with it?

First time in years that I had to change the height of the drill press stand to move UPWARDS - closer to the scope!

Brian

Last edited:

Sponsors