New ring holder

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all,
I recently purchased a new ring and ferrule holding jig that a friend and fellow engraver John Hyde has designed, and thought I would share.
I had seen the John using the jig at the last few trade shows that we were both vending at, and decided to give it a try. The thing that I like about this devise is that I can rotate the ring smoothly without having to stop and loosen the vise/clamp/or a bolt like the other types I have used in the past.
My thinking is that it should speed engraving rings up for me, and I plan on trying it out when stone setting channel type wedding or anniversary bands.

Sorry, I do not have any pictures yet, but here is a link to Johns Face Book page with a post about the Jig, I can post some more photos and let folks know how the jig works out for me if anyone would like me to. https://www.facebook.com/310435709255/photos/pcb.10153487820634256/10153487816584256/?type=1

Last edited:

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice to have a little jog in the piece that goes in the vise, so ring is at centre of rotation.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
There was one quite similar that was posted on here maybe 6 or 8 years ago.

A student of mine brought one to a class I did in Hawaii.

His name escapes me. I do remember that he was also a student of Ray Cover...

Brian

Just remembered his first name - Harold... owned a restaurant. Hasn't posted in many years now.

Last edited:

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
After cutting a practice piece using the Ringo yesterday, ( yes, thats really what it's called) I have discovered two things.
1, I need to get back into practicing cutting on small round surfaces more often. :eek:
2, I think this may become my go-to tool for engraving cylindrical items.

The practice piece I cut was done on a piece of 5/16" brass tubbing about an inch long that I engraved Lumenesque type scrolls around, I figured that would be a good test for both the ring jig, and myself. Even though my practice piece is far from being a show piece, I do believe that the learning curve on using the tool will be a short one. I can also see the possibility that the Ringo might make a good holding fixture for engraving revolver cylinders.:thinking:

Latest posts

Sponsors