Question: newbie question

jbrayout

just started to engrave, using a 120 and 90 degree graver. Sharpened using the video by Sam Alfano. Started out great but after sharpening a few times I have noticed that my cuts are very deep and jagged. Did I make my heels too long? I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
Jenny

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Sounds like your heel may be to short. Also it takes practice to get use to cutting the same depth, what metal ate you cutting and what tools are you using? The 90 in my opinion likes to run deep, and the 120 really takes time to master depth control. Make sure your heel Angle is exactly the same every time you sharpen and make sure your not dropping your elbow while cutting. All this is just my opinion from my experience,

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Make heels about 1/4mm long from the tip.
Show us some pics...hard to troubleshoot without seeing the cuts.

jbrayout

equipment and practice plate

Thanks for the information. I inherited the engraving equip., nothing has a label so I don't really know what handpieces I have. The machine is a Graver Max with pedal. I am practicing on copper.
If anyone recognizes the handpieces I would like to know what they are.
I think the images are attached, new to posting and attaching images. Thanks to everyone who does post here, your images are incredible helpful.
Jenny

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 85

Latest posts

Sponsors