Length of Engraving Jobs

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Just curious. A question for the gun and knife engravers. The work that I see on here tells me that weeks, months and more are spent on some projects. A year or more dare I say, I don't know. What do you guys do for a paycheck while on an extremely long project ? The longest I've ever spent on something was two months. Typically it is an average of two to three days, sometimes five to seven days for something very complicated and larger. Do you guys do inbetween jobs, have a pay schedule on jobs or what? If I ever decide to go totally freelance, I'd like to know how that works.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
On jobs lasting weeks I require a 50% deposit with the balance due upon completion.
I also require a 50% deposit if I'm engraving an article that can't be re-sold (like a monogram or coat of arms) to cover my expenses if the customer fails to pay. So far that's never happened.
I know Winston Churchill requires installments (quarterly or maybe every 2-3 months) on gun engraving jobs taking a year or longer.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do half upfront or three third payments. Balance on delivery.
Longest job was 7 years- lots of in between jobs to keep me trucking along.
Wasn't an engraving job tho. Carving. Probably would have been eight months to a year if it had of been full time on the project.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Once I retire from the FAA I will be drawing a pension so I will be able to afford to be a full time engraver :)

Donny

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Good answers all. I like the 50% down, balance upon completion. A wife with a good job is nice, but mine retired 6 years ago. One mistake I fell into was shipping before full payment. Nothing worse than waiting weeks or months for money. From now on it will be balance before I send the work. As I get a little older, doing more freelance, or being a full time craftsman becomes more appealing. Then again, the wife says why quit a good job. Being creative is so much more rewarding though.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
On really long jobs I require a deposit. On shorter jobs I have always just waited for payment until I was done. It does help to have a wife that makes the daily bread.

Sponsors