Question: Nickel Platers

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
Wanted to ask f/ feedback on some of the nickel platers out there.
Lots of fancy web pages and even more promises, but wondering who is consistently good.

I'm just doing the grips and some script work as the pistol is a Japanese engraved Colt SAA from the 50's.

Thanks
Dan

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dan, Don't forget no polish instructions on the phone, in the box and on a tie tag attached to each part going to the platter. Photograph before shipping and let them know that they will be financially responsible for any rework required do to their not following your instructions. Fred

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Once upon a time, maybe 30+ years ago - I took on a motorcycle engraving job.

When I finished the job, the owner came to pick up the parts and told me he was going to have them plated across town.

I explained to him what would happen if they ran them through a standard polishing procedure...

He assured me that they knew what they were doing and had done it before.

So a week or two later he comes back with the result.

They buffed them. Hard enough to smear the engraving in a coupla spots!

I asked if he warned them. He said yes.

To make a long story short, the plater wound up having to pay the original several thousand dollars for the second engraving job.

I loved it! Outside of some sanding and leveling where they'd smeared the engraving, it was easy work.

Didn't have to start at the beginning with layout, it was already there.

Basically just recut everything that was already there a little deeper to get the crispness back.

What originally took me a coupla weeks, took maybe 3 days and paid the same!

Brian

i went to the prom with a girl named Loquacious

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
Dang! I can't argue with all of this.
The pistol was engraved in Japan. It was a trophy won in a long poker game by a GI while overseas. He didn't like as it was nickel plated. One day he gave it to his 12 year old son play with it. It gave the boy a "toy" that he could watch cowboys movies on TV with as he grew up in northern Nevada. (think about the change in values we’ve gone thru when it was OK for a 12 year old to have his own pistol!!).
Fast forward, and that boy is now in his late 50's. The gun needs new grips (we are doing sheep horn grips), multiple internal parts and a complete replating. After years of playing quick draw, indexing the cylinder (got to hear the clicks), while watching Richard DeLong as Richard Adams in Winchester 73, has the gun very tired and beat up.
I can't argue with a 12 year old boy in a 58-59 year old man's body w/ his love for this gun. He's also a very good friend and this is a gift his wife and I have planned for a while. What a gal!

Again, thanks....and 2x more thanks for the advice on prep/pictures. I know I’m hell when guys reblue using a power buffer as a “quickâ€￾ way.
Also, my prom date was not as interesting as Rusty’s. Wow!

Dan

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you're all wrong; loquashus is a disease of the central nervous sistem !

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dan
I have had three rifles done by Ron, and everything was perfect, you polish and engrave he does the plating, also if needed I think he can remove the old plating . Good luck

Sponsors