Who engraved this rifle?

rslscobra

Hello,

I am trying to determine who done the scroll work on this custom 1903 Springfield. I see no markings anywhere on the rifle. I even removed the stock.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
you need more crisp pictures, these are lousy at showing details needed to ID the work

Also upload to the café, as your images are just showing as x's here.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I'll bet it was done in Japan for a GI, the Japanese like to engrave the entire length of the barrel on shot guns & rifles. J.J.

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ is most likely correct. Guns engraved for GIs during the occupation of Japan usually feature carved stocks, considerable barrel engraving on long guns, and, silver inlaid animals. One well focused, close-up of that floor plate will tell me all I need to know. The Japanese scrollwork is very distinctive.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The engraving is definitely the work of a Japanese craftsman. This is evidenced by the character of the scrollwork and the other features that I mentioned earlier. Over the years I have seen many such guns. In most cases the rifle or shotgun is a field grade American sporting arm that has been worked over like the gun in question. In this case I suspect that this rifle was not engraved in Japan for a GI who bought it in the PX/BX because the rifle is an 03 Springfield which would not have been sold on base.

During the 1970s there were a number of Japanese gun engravers who were in the US on work permits. Some worked for Bob Izenstark who operated REI Engraving in Illinois and another who worked for Ken Eyster near Dayton, Ohio. There were a couple of others who I know less about. Most likely this 03 was engraved by one of those Japanese engravers who worked in the US for a few years.

As to the name of the specific engraver, I can't say as their work is all quite similar. That's about all that I can say about the engraving and carving on this rifle.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger, I agree it wouldn't be a PX purchase but I would date the gun earlier. I would guess 1950s judging from the stock and the fact it wasn't set up for a scope. The 60s and 70s saw more "Weatherby" style stocks or a full classic style. When the gun was engraved may have been in the 70s but most of the ones I had contact with were all done at one time.

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice engraving on that gun. I am more impressed with the knowledge these guys have and the info they can collect from just looking at a couple photos. Heck, they have probably forgot more about engraving than I will ever know!!

rslscobra

Ok....sorry about my ignorance, but what does PX/BX stand for? Also, what would the approx. value of this rifle be? Thanks

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cobra,

Someone who deals in guns would have a more accurate idea of the value than I would. Custom guns are hard to place a value on as you can't look them up in the Blue Book of Gun Values.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's the problem with custom guns, Will. You will never find the same thing on Gunbroker or any other auction site. It is a little different for Colt SAAs because there are so many custom engraved pieces on the market you can find comparables.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
You are absolutely right Roger, but the actual answer is..."It's worth whatever somebody will pay you for it". No disrespect intended. That is what I have seen is the result of the internet, and e-bay in particular, excepting they don't allow sales of firearms. The asking price of 1903 Springfields varies hugely, depending on year and condition, the addition of engraving and stock carving must increase the value. By watching the auctions, sooner or later an example will arise. It may be a family member selling off a piece no longer wanted, or it may be a collecter divesting himself (or herself) of an item for a different reason.
In the final analysis, the are only worth what somebody is willing to pay.

rslscobra

Well, I am not going to sell it unless someone offers me price I can't refuse, but I wanted to get an idea. Thanks for the information you guys have been very helpful.

Latest posts

Sponsors