Lions

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Can't remember if this has been posted before but two of my favourite scenes.

Dotwork on dust, clouds and mountains only.

Engraved many years ago!

Phil

Last edited:

NicGregson

Wow........thats bloody amazing. I love the lions. They look awesome.
Thanks so much for posting your work, its truly inspirational

Dirtdigger

That is unbelievable!
For newbie like me it feels impossible that someone can do that with there gravers!
Thank you for showing!

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Phil. Those lions are outstanding. I particularly like the tree line along the horizon of the zebra scene. So much detail in such a small area. Phenomenal workmanship. To achieve such dark black on the zebra stripes etc is that achieved by extremely close straight lines then cutting diagonally across them to disrupt the light reflection off the surface of the metal?
Also, I always assumed that the spots on the big cats would be done by picking out dots rather than cutting lines, but you say that the only dots are in the clouds, dust and mountains. Are these areas on the cat crosshatched lines also?
I have had a go at achieving dark blacks and have found that it is very difficult. The darkest I ever managed was in my avatar picture of a duck and I believe there was about 15 cuts per mm line width. If that is the only way of achieving darkness then surely a piece like this took you years to complete?
Thank you for posting. I hope you are well.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Phil; How does it feel to know that your work will be treasured for hundreds of years after you have left this planet? Thanks for posting your awesome work.
Cheers
Don

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil. Those lions are outstanding. I particularly like the tree line along the horizon of the zebra scene. So much detail in such a small area. Phenomenal workmanship. To achieve such dark black on the zebra stripes etc is that achieved by extremely close straight lines then cutting diagonally across them to disrupt the light reflection off the surface of the metal?
Also, I always assumed that the spots on the big cats would be done by picking out dots rather than cutting lines, but you say that the only dots are in the clouds, dust and mountains. Are these areas on the cat crosshatched lines also?
I have had a go at achieving dark blacks and have found that it is very difficult. The darkest I ever managed was in my avatar picture of a duck and I believe there was about 15 cuts per mm line width. If that is the only way of achieving darkness then surely a piece like this took you years to complete?
Thank you for posting. I hope you are well.

The lines for black are as you say straight and cut down the white surface, the very last ones are very fine and over the top of the rest, the graver must be very sharp.

The black spot on the leopard are different, they're deep cut just a few in one direction and very close together.

It's not really practical to do all the scenes with dots, if the gun is a shooter and used and cleaned regularly, fine dot engraving wears also unless the budget is there it would take about four or five times as long as it would with lines.

Dots are good for very fine shading in fact novice engravers should be able to create good scenes without too much trouble, as long as they know contrast. Producing fine graduated shading with lines is much harder, just try a portrait with both!

Phil

Last edited:

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Phil. Just out of curiosity..... now please excuse my ignorance but I know nothing at all about guns.
Those black holes in the scenes. I take it they are for screws when the gun is assembled. If so do you get the gun back to engrave the screws to blend into the scene or are they left as is.
PS. If they are not screw holes then what are they.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil. Just out of curiosity..... now please excuse my ignorance but I know nothing at all about guns.
Those black holes in the scenes. I take it they are for screws when the gun is assembled. If so do you get the gun back to engrave the screws to blend into the scene or are they left as is.
PS. If they are not screw holes then what are they.

The holes are for pins (screws) when a gun is ordered with scenes, picture locks (pinless locks) are made but not always. Fitting in birds etc between the holes can become a challenge, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and the holes end up in the area of the bird, this is not a big problem as ones eyes focus on the engraving and not the pin.

Engraving over the pins is not practical because after hardening, the pins usually tighten up to a different position, I have however engraved many tumblers (the big hole in the centre) as these turn to a set position.

Phil

Latest posts

Sponsors