Upgrade From Photoshop 7 to?

take-down

Elite Cafe Member
Hi All
Have had to upgrade my computer to windows 8 system which means I have to upgrade a lot of my programs as the old ones wont run on the new system

As the heading states I was using Photoshop 7 but what new program would give me the same capabilities

There seems to be a lot of new options
Any advice would be a great help
Many thanks

MrBrendan

Well if you wanted to stick with Adobe, Photoshop CS6 is the last version of the traditional disk/pricing model. It's still several hundreds of dollars, but you own it. And they have several updates for it.

Adobe CC (Adobe Creative Cloud) gives you access to Adobe's full line of software, which is quite substantial, for about $10. a month. Which is commonly referred to as "Software As A Service" or SaaS for short.

Since the internet speeds these days are so quick, they can allow regular home users to download large files and just check for subscriptions to cloud services every once in a while.

Which is best for you? Well, that's your call. If you can make use of more than Photoshop alone, Creative Cloud may be a good option for you. Otherwise CS6 may be ok. Personally, i use CS6 because it's fantastic and all i'd ever need. (But i come from a photography background.)

Next up is Gimp. http://www.gimp.org/ is another graphics/photography tool which is very popular because it's free and fairly easy to use. ( I personally have no experience with it, but it's mentioned enough on photography forums to be a decent contender.)

Hope that helps!

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use Photoshop CS6 and I also use Corel Paint Shop Pro X6 for some things. Your Photoshop 7 is such an antique you'll be surprised what the newer software can do. If you want a lot of powerful features and get by relatively cheap... go with Corel Paint Shop Pro X7 for about $64.00.

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
recently up dated to PS 11 its new to me and seems GTG BUT YMMV cause I went from CS3 to PS11 tools are different so im on another learning curve....

Dirtdigger

I use Photoshop CS5 and it has all the bells and whistles i ever need and few more. If you need less bells and not so many whistles Photoshop Elements is a great basic program and it´s price is way cheaper than the full Photoshop.

take-down

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks all
That narrows down what to concentrate my study on
Properly go for an outright own program as my AutoCAD is on subscription and tends to be a bit costly if you are not using it continuously
Cheers

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
Well if you wanted to stick with Adobe, Photoshop CS6 is the last version of the traditional disk/pricing model. It's still several hundreds of dollars, but you own it. And they have several updates for it.

Adobe CC (Adobe Creative Cloud) gives you access to Adobe's full line of software, which is quite substantial, for about $10. a month. Which is commonly referred to as "Software As A Service" or SaaS for short.

Since the internet speeds these days are so quick, they can allow regular home users to download large files and just check for subscriptions to cloud services every once in a while.

Which is best for you? Well, that's your call. If you can make use of more than Photoshop alone, Creative Cloud may be a good option for you. Otherwise CS6 may be ok. Personally, i use CS6 because it's fantastic and all i'd ever need. (But i come from a photography background.)

Next up is Gimp. http://www.gimp.org/ is another graphics/photography tool which is very popular because it's free and fairly easy to use. ( I personally have no experience with it, but it's mentioned enough on photography forums to be a decent contender.)

Hope that helps!

How do you obtain Adobe CC for $10 a month?

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
Ahhh… yes I see. That's just for the photography pkg. I thought you meant all of CC

Latest posts

Sponsors