Am scope?

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
sorry if this has been posted but who has any knowledge on AMSCOPES I didn't see anything in the archives about them just curious cause I almost committed to one...I need better optics but looking at dental loupes and the such I just don't know whats going to work out...the optivisor I currently have is a HF cheapo that I bought for soldering stuff its a PITA with H&C so im thinking the loupes are gonna be the same....any advise oh learned ones?:happyvise:

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
I have an Amscope for a couple years now and it has served me well. The build quality is really surprising given the cost and while I'm sure the optics are not in the same class as lietz, nikon, et al, they are sufficient for me. If I was doing this for a living and spending 8 hours a day with my head stuck in it I'd go for a high end scope but I'm not there yet nor may I ever be.

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
I have an Amscope for a couple years now and it has served me well. The build quality is really surprising given the cost and while I'm sure the optics are not in the same class as lietz, nikon, et al, they are sufficient for me. If I was doing this for a living and spending 8 hours a day with my head stuck in it I'd go for a high end scope but I'm not there yet nor may I ever be.
which model are you using and thanks for the response!

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
Sanch....there is a great article in the archives about others (B&L, Nikon, etc) you should look for used too. Use this as a guide to look on e-flay for a used setup. The B&L is very nice due to it's short height. The Nikon offers lots of great options too. Each has it's own advantages/disadvantages. You can find stands, barlow lenses, eye pieces, etc also. Final price for my initial setup was 1/2 that of a new AMSCOPE if you do some hunting and wait for a good price. The archive also has great input on stands. Just take some time and search this forum. Still, Steve Lindsay's site (sorry Sam) has a nice write up on the AMSCOPEs on what to get for engraving.

Just remember, we all seem to end up w/ a Zeiss or Meiji when the business gets bonafide.

Dan

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
Dan thanks for the reply, I have read the archives just didn't see any thing about the am scopes I am a hobbyist and don't want to break the bank persay!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
One of my Instagram followers told me he just got an Am Scope and had to send it back because it was defective, which proves the hit-or-miss quality in Chinese microscopes. That's NOT going to happen with Meiji, Leica, or Zeiss.

I always advise saving a little longer and buying a quality scope that you can use with confidence that'll last you a lifetime. If you decide to sell later there will always be a demand for it. Buy a Chinese knock-off and you'll get little for it if when you upgrade.

See the microscope buying guide in the Tips Archive.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
it took me maybe 6 weeks of fishing around on ebay-- but-- i got a very nice leica for a quite good price. no need to hurry in such matters. if you do, you may not be happy with what you got. i had a scienscope for some time. it was ok, i decided to start a hunt. i ended up with a nice leica with somewhat better optics.
when scope hunting, you want a ZOOM type stereo with a .5 objective. this will give you hand clearance of 7-8", and surely enough magnification. make sure the seller allows returns.

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
I'll second Monk....I got a GREAT deal on a Meiji w/ a 0.5 objective lens. It just takes time but there are out there.
The hunt for new tools is 1/2 the fun of this profession. Just ask Carlos (aka La Herramienta Maestro)

Dan

Latest posts

Sponsors