Optivisor Setup Reccomendations

I am looking to set up my palm control on CO2 and transport my vise (or maybe look into getting a second vise) to work to practice during the day. Moving the microscope back and forth is obviously out of the question. Searching ebay I have found a metric ton of different options - I am wondering what you would reccomend that does not break the bank for a nice visor setup for practice. I have seen some that come with different magnification lenses at different distances and there are alot of options. I have searched the forum but have not come up with any solid info. I do plan to eventually get a second microscope to keep at work, as well as a second compressor, but as many of you already know some things take time to finance

Last edited:

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
Looking at cheap dental loupe on flea bay too just really leary of them...also have been promised a Am scope during taxtime...who knows but I'm looking at all options. ..good luck with your search.

Ok after a more extensive search I am looking at the Donegan Optivisor and just getting the #4,5,7, and 10 lenses.

yeah I saw that 4" working distance and literally just stuck my face to 4" from my computer and thought.... hmmm. lol

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
It really depends on how you sit and work. My vise is set high and I can sit upright and use a #10 optivisor with the 4" focus to great advantage. This has been the way I work for many years. I started with a 5 and soon went to a 7 with occasional use of a 10. Finally settled on the 10 for all my work. My 'scope gets used for a few minutes per year.

monk

Staff member
i bought a "junk" 4x galilean style loupe. focal length is around 14-16 inches. they aren't world class, but they do work. they do take a bit of "getting used to". i had a pair of the longer, telescopic type, but were quite uncomfortable on my nose. the galilean type were about 30 bucks on the bay. they are more comfortable than the longer style. there's a flood of the same exact brand, selling from 25- 85 bucks.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you use an Optivisor and a # 10 lens , you can place a piece of brass tubing in between each side to extend the focal length . This is a little more comfortable with higher magnification. I'll post a pic later. Iv'e used this set up for a long time.

jr hoot gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I have changed the focal length on an optivisor the same as Dave. Works great and may cost you up to $2 or $3 depending on where you purchase a couple of 8/32 bolts and nuts and tubing.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you use an Optivisor and a # 10 lens , you can place a piece of brass tubing in between each side to extend the focal length . This is a little more comfortable with higher magnification. I'll post a pic later. Iv'e used this set up for a long time.
please post i love the idea

Saludos,
Carlos

Larry Simmons

I bought an optivisor and two lens,5 and 10 and cost about 90.00 dollars, saw another visor with 4 lens and xtra pins on ebay u.s. seller for 35.00 dollars, just make sure the lens are glass and you won't go wrong! I've had some lens for over 30 years!

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
i bought a "junk" 4x galilean style loupe. focal length is around 14-16 inches. they aren't world class, but they do work. they do take a bit of "getting used to". i had a pair of the longer, telescopic type, but were quite uncomfortable on my nose. the galilean type were about 30 bucks on the bay. they are more comfortable than the longer style. there's a flood of the same exact brand, selling from 25- 85 bucks.

like these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-X-420mm...920?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4620560c78

or these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5x-Magnif...647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f047a957

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
sanch: almost, not quite. the set i got is 4x, not 3.5x. when my neck gets cranky from the optivisor, i switch to these for a half hour or more. the neck discomfort then goes away.
i'd like to see how the focal length is adjusted on the optivisor.

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member

Wow, that sounds like the solution I've been looking for! Thanks for the information, and in advance for the photo.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Silverchip, I though my Optivisor needed washing! Mine have been through several headbands, untold numbers of scratched lenses. My wife will slip out and wash them for me ever few months and change the oil in the headbands!!!!! I just stacked a bunch of washer until I had the focal length to my liking. Great thread and love your optivisors Silverchip.

monk

Staff member
silverchip: thanks for this, have to give it a whack. don't let these buzzards bother you, a little sandblasting & you'll be back to new. be sure to cover the lenses. tyvm

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
I found sum nice light Opivisor's at a gun show years ago eHobbyTools.com 4 Topelo Lane Langhorne, Pa. 19047 1-215-750-9016 check out there website look for the Mageye Visor's. J.J.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors