Anyone sell blank belt buckles?

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I use a j-torch with a #2 brazing tip.
I like to hard solder (1,500°) the hinges and tongue. And hard for the rope tacks. Be sure to keep most of your heat on the buckle itself or you'll get voids in your rope.
Rope edge, medium (1,250°) and Easy (1,000°) for the face pieces.
Brain really needs to answer this question as last count he has done approximately 43,698 buckles.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I am not going to attempt to teach anyone what they need to know to build buckles or other trim & hardware by writing it out and posting it to a forum - nor putting it up on Carlos's favorite; youtube...

And here's why: For a start, most of the people who want to learn something like this have no relevant background.

That means we have to start with terminology, safety, demos, more safety and finally - step by step - careful hands on manipulation of the tools and metals.

We live in a litigious society.

If I forget to tell someone NOT to drink the pickle, or to point the torch away from his ZZ Top beard while getting it lit, not to crack the fuel valve and wait 10 seconds before striking, and countless other details that are not likely to come up in a 20 page long post on how to make this stuff - somebody's gonna get hurt.

And that somebody will find an attorney. And that attorney will come after whatever he can get... the texascowboy ain't gonna be there to cover my butt by paying for my attorney.

If I teach you, I want to SEE you - right in front of me.

So I can get that red hot buckle you just dropped in your lap off you and onto the floor - before the branding is permanent...

Brian

And yes - every single one of those things (and many many more) HAS happened at one time or another. They still happen.

I try not to let them happen where I actually teach. And I don't teach on forums or youtube. I may give tips... or a little guidance, but that's it.

Last edited:

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
This is why most of us who are not jewelers would want to buy a pre made buckle verses make our own to engrave.
Brian, I am quite familiar with the legal game since my wife is a second generation Lawyer and partner in her firm. No I don't have a Beard like the zz guys and if I did I would have some of that hair transplanted to my head. ZZ doesn't refer to the Band. But I Feel like I am in a scene of Grumpy Old Men. LOL That means "LAUGHING OUT LOAD" for those that don't know. Thanks for all the thoughts always appreciated. ZZ

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
Gerry Beathard was in my shop the Wed. after FEGA,Shooting a video/step by step pictures of me making a buckle & keeper from scratch,dont know when or what format he will use but we didn't leave out any steps.

I would love to see this does anyone have a link to the video?

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
It is always best to make your own. Learn the skills necessary. Look at some videos on youtube. Learn how to use the jeweler's saw. Rio Grand also has some instructional videos. When I first started piercing I was breaking blades too frequently. I watched their video on piercing and it really made a difference.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks to everyone for advice here, this was posted almost 2 years ago. Since then I've figured out the best advice IS to make my own. I've bought some power tools and lot's of hand tools,,, files & sandpaper. I'm really enjoying the process and it's coming along pretty good. Of course the best part is I'll be able to make any size & shape from different materials. The skills I'm learning are extremely valuable too.

So right now I'm needing to learn soldering the backplate to the buckle and I just learned my little propane torch isn't the right tool for the job. So I have to do some more learning about the soldering process, my previous experience is very limited. I'll be needing to upgrade my equipment and as always, all advice is much appreciated.

Latest posts

Sponsors