Anyone sell blank belt buckles?

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Anybody out there sell belt buckle blanks to engrave. I'd like some thing like GRS used to sell but I can't find anything too close. Nickel or ss , rectangle, oval, domed or slightly curved, with backing hardware if possible.Probably 10 or 20 of each. Nothing too special, just looking for some buckles to engrave and the google search is overwhelming with junk.

Hillbilly007

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
There's a firm in N Attleboro MA that sells a sterling dress belt buckle blank, but it's pretty pricey (almost $200). If you look on Etsy, you'll find a guy from Canada that sells stainless blanks but again, it's retail ($49 ea if memory serves).

I'm looking for a machine shop/welder to make me some, I've had no luck online for anything of quality at any type of price.

Bob

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Dave Gibson has been here... seen the tools & equipment and watched me fix a couple of his buckles.

I will offer, for the last time - a Western silversmithing workshop that covers ALL the basic aspects of making buckles, loops, tips and all the "trim". (Conchos, horncaps, cantleplates, cornerplates, bridle & halter ornaments are just variations)

It will include cutting, blanking, forming, making your own findings and soldering techiniques to assemble everything...

It's gonna have to be a 5 day hands on workshop and it will include notes and all of the practice materials. We won't be using silver because of the cost.

Nickel, steel, "jewelers bronze" and a few cast motifs will be provided. You can bring your own materials if you want to work in silver. (I may have some silver parts available for sale, but at the moment I don't know because I haven't looked to see what's here)

There are 5 complete "hot benches", shears, dies and presses here, so 5 people would be the limit.

Cost will be $800 per person - materials, fuel gases, chemicals, & solder included.

If anyone is SERIOUSLY interested - email me at instructor@jewelryartschool.com and I will set the dates.

Brian

If this workshop fills, I will follow it with another 5 day workshop on Western style bright cut engraving - so those who have made projects in the previous week of smithing can learn to engrave what they have made.

Last edited:

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I profile my pieces, spurs,buckles, what have you with a jewelers saw.
For a 16ga.N.S. buckle, I would use a #2 Laser Gold. Keep it lubed !!! as the N.S. will work harden on you in a heartbeat !
Options would be to bandsaw or waterjet it.
Or get on the Bit and Spur Free Forum and have a budding maker fix you up.

Last edited:

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Okay, Okay !
Here is your requested buckle blank tutorial !
#1- Draw out your buckle on paper.
#2- Glue the paper to your buckle blank material with 3M spray adhesive.
#3- Saw out with a jeweler's saw.
#4- Saw out your hinges, bar and tongue.
#5- Solder parts together.

You can sell a man a buckle blank($4.98)or he can learn to make buckles of different styles, shapes and materials(priceless!)

wdale.bass

Gerry Beathard was in my shop the Wed. after FEGA,Shooting a video/step by step pictures of me making a buckle & keeper from scratch,dont know when or what format he will use but we didn't leave out any steps.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Okay, Okay !
Here is your requested buckle blank tutorial !
#1- Draw out your buckle on paper.
#2- Glue the paper to your buckle blank material with 3M spray adhesive.
#3- Saw out with a jeweler's saw.
#4- Saw out your hinges, bar and tongue.
#5- Solder parts together.

You can sell a man a buckle blank($4.98)or he can learn to make buckles of different styles, shapes and materials(priceless!)

You missed a couple steps.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the input all, I knew this would be the place to find out cAuse so many of you do build your own. Now I have a few more contacts to contact. I don't have the tools, space or desire to build my own, Brian has the classroom and teaching skills for those who do.That's just another end of this business I'd rather pay someone else to do properly.

Latest posts

Sponsors