dual angle 2.0 SUCCESS! !

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
I am excited to say I have finally succeeded in sharpening 6 very usable gravers on my DA fixture with my home made hone 3 in ultra micro grain and 3 in HSS they all cut 1018 steel like butter as well as 304 SS! Here is a couple of pics of hone and fixture 2.0 thanks to all who helped and encouraged!

Attachments

• 20150201_125909-1.jpg
    20150201_125909-1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 482
  • 20150201_125919-1.jpg
    20150201_125919-1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 481

Dirtdigger

Very nice and clean work!
I need to make myself something similar to get more even sharpening on my tools!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a beauty for sure. how did you do the protractor scale? it looks very good.

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
a beauty for sure. how did you do the protractor scale? it looks very good.

Thanks the protractor was just simply downloaded and resized it, printed, laminated and finally superglued in place. I'm finally up and practicing! Straight lines & chisel control the hammering is very intuitive for me as its the same as tooling leather, but depth of cut is fun constant tool angle is challenging! !

Last edited:

jkoper

very simple construction if you have the machines worst part is getting an accurate zero on both axis!

Machines aren't a problem. I ran my own tool and die shop for years. Its getting out in the shop and actually doing something, well that's another thing. I always seem to have to many irons in the fire. I've been hung up on making coin rings lately, what I should be doing is practicing my engraving and drawing ( my scrolls suck LOL). Anyway really nice piece of work. If you ever need to bounce an idea off some one on how to make something let me know, building things is what I do for a living.

Jim

Last edited:

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
Machines aren't a problem. I ran my own tool and die shop for years. Its getting out in the shop and actually doing something, well that's another thing. I always seem to have to many irons in the fire. I've been hung up on making coin rings lately, what I should be doing is practicing my engraving and drawing ( my scrolls suck LOL). Anyway really nice piece of work. If you ever need to bounce an idea off some one on how to make something let me know, building things is what I do for a living.

Jim

Thanks for the kind words I'm going to have to make a couple of new Bulino graver handles soon as I repurposed one on the DA2.o I will probably use 6061ali..any way thanks again for the kind words

monk

Staff member
looks as though yer contraption could be made without a lot of hi-end machineshoppery. angle, flat plate, and round stock. with care, much of this could be done with simple hand tools. maybe throw in a drill press for the fun of it.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
looks as though yer contraption could be made without a lot of hi-end machineshoppery. angle, flat plate, and round stock. with care, much of this could be done with simple hand tools. maybe throw in a drill press for the fun of it.

I made one similar to that one, I used a drill press, tap and dies, drill bits and a hacksaw. I used pocket watch faces for the scale, but I think I see a change in the future, his scale looks better than mine. You can get the pieces of aluminum already cut to length at various online metal sales that cater to the hobbyists and "gadget" makers. From what I have read, seen and the equipment I have looked at the degree scales just need to be close and repeatable.

sanch

Elite Cafe Member

ABSOLUTELY easy enough like you said with care and a good crooked eye!

monk

Staff member
anyone wanting to do this, don't engrave the index marks right away. instead, apply masking tape. put the marks where you think they should go. then test for true. once true is established. you can simply cut the marks right thru the tape.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks very nice, but you never will redo at the same manner, I think it is a very big problem. However, for start - no bad. Thanks

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
Looks very nice, but you never will redo at the same manner, I think it is a very big problem. However, for start - no bad. Thanks

what do you mean? I have had very repeatable results with my fixture do you mean if I make another one I will not make it the same? if that is what you mean you are right I would mark and check for true.

Sponsors