Sterling Silver Padlock

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Everyone! It is has been a while since I have posted anything....this project I would like to share with you has kept me tied up since about the middle of October between planning and fabrication.
This piece was made for the 2015 Emerging Artist Contest held by the TCAA at the High Noon Western Show and Auction last weekend. It was the winner of the silversmithing category. There were many great entries in the group and I am blessed to have been a part of it.
My lock was a beast of a project but the most rewarding project I have made to date. It contains every technique and skill I know in silverwork. I would not be able to complete projects as this without the mentorship and help of many friends along my career path. Thanks for looking and enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH6po7nlTpM

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Please tell us some details of the story behind it...

How you came up with the multiple designs you incorporated, worked out the mechanism, problems you encountered and overcame or worked around.

What was going through your mind as you were putting it all together...

Brian

Last edited:

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I am truly moved by this piece of art!!! I very much enjoyed viewing it!!

Donny

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
A great blacksmith/locksmith/sculptor friend of mine (Stephen Lee) had made a beautiful iron lock in complete traditional smithing technique. It was one of the most impressive things I have ever seen. I loved it! It stuck in my mind since originally seeing it. I asked him if I could do a locksmithing workshop with him and he agreed. I decided I wanted to make the lock for the contest which meant it needed to be entirely precious metals.
I like round shapes so I decided a bulbous heart as the lock shape. I like my work to be very heavy and sculpted looking so I added any embellishment I could think of to contribute to this design concept. Of course I tried to carry the design traits throughout the whole project including the key. Once I determined my shape everything else came along in design. There are parts of the lock that serve two purposes....function and aesthetics. Function came first, then aesthetics. I spent months researching old locks and discovered some with the key hole covered. I thought I could lose more money by making it more complicated which seems to be my business motto these days. So I went with complicated.
I spent 10 days with Stephen in his shopping learning about the mechanism to operate the lock. The lock mechanism was the most crucial part so once that was built I added more layers. Every lock must contain crucial parts and pieces to function. You then just have to start with generic shapes for these pieces and keep filing and fitting to try and make the lock operate. It is very precise work. My parts were remade 3 times by the time I got it to function correctly. You can slowly modify each part until it either works or is no longer salvageable and you must start over.
The hummingbird is from a die I made and had just received back from the heat treat foundry so I decided to incorporate it. Of course if you use a hummingbird you naturally would have flowers involved.
The biggest problem to overcome while building the lock was trying to figure out the order in which you work on parts and pieces. Since soldering was involved the process was crucial. This was difficult for me since I had never built a lock and didn't know what the process should be.
While making the lock, most of my thinking revolved around my next step. It required constant concentration with no room for error.
There were minor mistakes made along the way that many people would never notice but I intend on not making again! I learned an incredible amount in this project.
I hope this answers some of your questions without being overly boring.

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Donny, that is such a compliment! It makes my blood, sweat and tears thru the project seem well worth it! :)

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
I thoroughly enjoyed the video and the completed lock is fantastic. Interesting thinking of the process with an all precious metal guideline, a nice challenge. Exceptional result.
Mark

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
Jane, that is fabulous simply one of the most expressive pieces of art I have seen in quite some time! I had to replay the video for my wife and she was totally taken by the beauty of your work! Thank you for sharing!

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is the coolest thing ever! Great job. Nothing boring about your description.

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone, one of my goals I was trying achieve while designing this piece was for it to be interactive with your senses. To bad it doesn't have a little music box and send out a little puff of perfume when operated. Then it would have it all covered. Haha!. I didn't want to create a static piece and I think I accomplished that.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The design itself is music to my ears, no music box or perfume needed. The work you've done stands by itself without the frills, special effects. It is a masterpiece unto itself.

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Very good point Brian, also why I don't do jewelry repair since I never truly KNOW how something is made (what temp solders are used, etc) unless it is made by me.
One thing I forgot to mention is that I also document process with photos. I don't always manage to get every step since I run out of hands (I need a GoPro!) but I do catch a lot of the process. I will keep these photos as well as sending the photos with the piece to the collector and my designs as well. Education of my customers and collectors has become my priority.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Jane!

This is one of the nicest works of arts I saw in this forum. It includes two of the things I like a lot; mechanics and engraving!
Surely a well deserved award. Congratulation!

May I suggest that you include a picture of it in your first post of the thread?

Keep up the great work. You are young and have a fabulous future ahead!

Leonardo