Inside ring practice

Here you go, what do you guys think?
All done with a 110° Lindsay point with the sides ground away for easier access, a champagne cork is my latest inside ring fixture, works way better than anything else I tried, though it's a bit trickier to work with, it allows greater adjustment of the movements. (I included a pic of my setup, I cut a small dimple in the center of the cork for easier positioning and holding of the piece)

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
It will do fine at this level, and it will get better the more you do. Beats the hell outta pantograph work!

Yup, champagne is the key element to engraving inside rings...

One bottle(cork) per ring sounds about right. Just "a bit trickier" to control your movements...

Brian

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the engraving is very good to my eye. why the cork ?
mr marshall needs to quit the muscat, and go with a real grape !

Monk, the cork in the vise allows me to hold the ring steady with my own fingers, instead of clamping it.

and I forgot to mention that the engraving is done with only 3 guides, fortop and bottom of the letters, the rest is done as I go and without any prior drawing, so that's why some letters have the wrong inclination or width :cool:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use something similar - a holder out of one of the old books. It's just a piece of 1" wooden dowel. Cut down the center half way. Cut one side away completely and cut a large V in the other - you want the bottom of the V level with the flat.

Clamp the bottom in your vise, hold the ring against the upright flat. The V cut lets you get at if from the far side if you need, and the upright lets you keep it from slipping.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
thanks. i understand a bit better now. somewhere in the tips section is shown at least one home brewed ring holder. it securely clamps the ring externally, and also allows one to easily do any portion of the inside. basically a large ring of wood or metal, drilled & tapped every 120 degrees. after the mini bolts are started into the interior, thermoloc or similar can be added to directly clamp the ring in any position needed
shown is one mr prudhomme made. something way less complex would still do the job.

Attachments

• inside_ring_3.jpg
    inside_ring_3.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
ah you are all being too kind! thanks a lot.

monk, I have discovered the hard way that in this case, you really don't want any gimmick, I'm all for a nice secialized clamp, but reality is that holding the ring with your hand makes it possible for your both of your hands to participate in the movement. it is way, way better, granted it has a bit of a learning curve to it. if you want to try a clamped ring you can just use a thin piece of hardwood with a semicircular cutout filled with setters cement and you can set it in there. it will basically do what the holder does

KcSteve, I tried that too, but turning just the ring proved more useful than having to turn my whole vise, plus I can angle the ring while I work to compensate for my other hand movement so I don't have to get into cramped, har to control wrist positions while holding my graver.

Am I still making sense to all of you? I might have gottent it all backwards :)

Simone

Latest posts

Sponsors