Question: Stainless

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
Wht is your favorite stainless to engrave that will take some spring tension either through work hardening or tempering and which one is which. Thank you. K Frei

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
K Frie: The best I have cut is 416, it is a heat treatable grade, as opposed to 300 grade which has very little carbon in it. The 300 grades as a general rule are not heat treatable, but can be work hardened to a certain extent. The 400 grades have a higher carbon content with some of the 440 grades as high as 1.9 %. When you ad carbon to stain resistant steel it will improve the machine ability rating. The worst that I have encountered was the case of a Rollex watch which was absolutely miserable stuff to cut , but they use 300 grade so that it will remain non magnetic.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't think I've come across SS that has spring tension in it, but I guess it must exist. I find most SS to be not all that bad, but Colt slides and Ruger loading gates are tough, tough, tough. I spoke to a Ruger designer at the FEGA show, and he says that they aren't hardening the gates as hard as they did in the past. Said that they finally listened to the community, and decided that they could bend a little for us.

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Sanvic 12c27 stainless steel is a peach to cut and can be hardened to 60 Rockwell and tempered as well. 400 series stainless cuts better than 300 series stainless steels.

Sponsors