first gun engraving in progress

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Not being one to follow any rules, anyway, I see no problems there, in the least. Proportionally, it has the right balance; not too small or too large for the size of the slide. To me, everything seems to 'fit', just right. Maybe it's just in my mind's eye, but the engraving seems to add 'weight' to the slide, but not too much. Excellent work, without any doubt.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I fully agree with Roger. I however certainly did not wait some 47 or so years ago...back in the dark ages of engraving when info was most difficult to find. Those pieces are carefully stashed away out of sight in a safe!!

Very nice work Troy. You will never have to hide that piece!

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
That's like saying, until you can shoot a 3 under par you shouldn't play golf, teamrope or whatever.
Most of the engraver's on this site are HOBBYISTS, not pros.

Okay, Okay, I'll shut up now.... Maybe.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's like saying, until you can shoot a 3 under par you shouldn't play golf, teamrope or whatever.
Most of the engraver's on this site are HOBBYISTS, not pros.

Okay, Okay, I'll shut up now.... Maybe.

Your analogy to golf and rodeo is not parallel to engraving. By playing a bad game of golf you don't ruin the golf course (except for a few divots). When an unskilled "engraver" attacks a gun, he or she ruins a valuable item. Eventually, even if it is after the engraver's death, that gun will enter the stream of commerce. Someone will buy it thinking they have a masterpiece but when they attempt to sell it or show it to someone who knows engraving, they will have a bad taste in their mouth about engraving and may bad mouth engraving to their gun buddies.

As FEGA historian, I get lots on inquiries about engraved guns that come into the possession of people who know nothing about engraving. I'm always happy to inform someone about their well engraved piece. But all too often the work was done by some hobbyist hacker. It is no easy task to tell someone that their valuable masterpiece has been devalued by poor engraving.

I want to add this; The folks who inhabit this forum are those who really try to do good engraving, regardless of if they are a professional or hobbyist.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger, maybe what a Texas cowboy should have said is that one shouldn't back in the box until he can ride one?

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You might just want to keep that under your hat until your grandkids are old enough to know.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Troy, this is outstanding work and better than a lot of what's seen in this forum, especially for a first gun. I know how hard you've worked at engraving and design and you're really seeing a big payoff of your efforts. Huge congratulations!! :clapping: :happyvise: :beerchug:

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Roger, unfortunately you are right, but in the jewelry industry there are entire chains of stores, nationwide and maybe even international, that make a big business of selling poor products.
As a reputable jeweler, I often have to explain that I won't size their bling ring because the diamonds will fall out, or the shank is too thin on a brand new ring, to size it for them.
It may be that people are disappointed when I tell them that Grandmothers 3ct Ruby ring is a synthetic, but I do it. It is part of my job. Just as telling, and showing, the differences of quality in engraving. Sadly, it is a fact of life, but everybody starts somewhere.

Troy G

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Sam, Your advise about not starting on project pieces until you can add value has stuck with me and definitely paid off!!

Sponsors