Level the playing field.

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
I was just browsing through the forum the other day and ran across a thread(not sure now which one) that had led to a discussion about background removal. Someone asked how to remove the backgrounds and most of the replies were similar especially with a few people agreeing that they crosshatch the background/fields with a square graver then cut it level with a flat graver. I usually just use a flat graver, what is the purpose of using the square graver first? Is it to get it more leveled out? I notice high spots in mine most of the time, would crosshatching the fields first eliminate this? Oh, I am mainly talking about HOBO nickels.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Here is my thought on the matter, It is probably done to ensure a more consistent depth of background. It is easier to judge the consistency of depth on a v cut than a wide flat cut. If you cross hatch with the same width v's and knock of the remaining material to the bottom of the v's , you should have fewer high spots. I may be all wet on this , but that is just my thinking.
Cheers
Don

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
The purpose of the square graver cuts is to establish a few register lines of a consistent depth throughout the background area. You can then cut to the depth of those register lines with the flat, thereby avoiding the high and low spots in the background which often occur if you do not have those square graver cuts to tell you when you have gone deep enough.

Another way to achieve a fairly consistent depth is to use acid to remove the background. Cover the area to be engraved with a protecting ground, available from Cronite. Build a clay dam around the area where the background is to be removed. Apply acid to the background and allow it to dissolve the steel into oxide. Rinse and repeat until the desired depth has been achieved.

Barry Lee Hands and Bob Evans have both presented tutorials on this subject in the past. The beauty of the acid technique is that you will spend much less time working the background to make it flat and reflection-free.

Test your technique on several practice plates first. You do not want to dissolve the wrong part of an expensive firearm.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i use a square to hog background because a dubbed carbide graver will remove most of the metal little to no resharpening. then i go back thru with flats to remove the ridges left behind.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i've done square-- with good results. have also used rounds, criss- crossed at about 90. then leveled with a flat. whatever works, that gives you the best result-- that's the way to do it. do some tests on scrap. not very time consuming. you'll find the way that works best for you. using the round, i find control of depth easier to judge. ymmv

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Never used the crosshatch method to level the field on a coin, I use a #42 and #36 flat to level the fields, but this does not mean my way is the best way.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was having way too much trouble using flats only for background removal, having "porpoise" backgrounds, if you get my drift. Finally broke down and started removal with a square finished with a flat. Quicker and less stressful on the old mind. Getting completely away from rotary removal.

Bill

Latest posts

Sponsors