Let's hear it!

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
Her are a couple of my latest coin carvings. They are all carved on silver quarters. I sell on ebay. Tell me what ya think and what areas I need to improve in. I know for one thing, I get in a hurry and sometimes that leads to slips and mistakes such as cutting out a line or piece of the detail. Any and all comments are welcome!
THANKS
JOEY

Attachments

• deep sea diver hobo 003.JPG
    deep sea diver hobo 003.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 280
  • blacksmith hobo 007.JPG
    blacksmith hobo 007.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 280
  • high noon cowboy hobo 004.JPG
    high noon cowboy hobo 004.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 282

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i esp like your originality. i like the finishes i see. the cowboy-- i'd focus a bit more on the side of the face and round off a bit. overall-- very nice work !

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
The face is a prime example of me cutting too fast and getting hurried. I was cutting fast and cut off way more than I had wanted to. It was one of those "I cut it twice and it's still too short" things. It was originally drawn with a full rounded face. I use gilders paste for the filling in of the lines. I cover the whole coin and after it dries I buff it off with a 320 grit rotary brush until I get it to where I want it.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
what is gilders paste ? is that the same as glue size ? or some kind of wax-based finish ? whatever, it's working well for your hobos.

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
Gilders paste is a wax paint. It dries fast and when it is dry and you use a rotary brush on it, it sticks real well in the low spots and buffs off nicely on the high spots. It comes in many colors and it is around $10 for a 1.5oz. tin which says it covers 30 sq ft. per tin. I have used it on many of my carvings and have barely made a dent in my supply. I don't know about shelf life or anything like that. It being a wax paint it also protects well.

Sponsors