Help, please: HELP ALERT!! New Poster needs help with inking a bulino engraving!

feinkster

Hey, Dave. Thanks lots for letting me know that ink. I made a note of it and I'll for sure be purchasing some. Sounds like it's really durable! Oh and thanks also Doc for the advice, I'll try some Rustoleum flat black paint too. Yes you are right, it needs to dry and hard and not stay wet and damp and maybe that has been part of my problem too. That's some great advice you gave and I really appreciate it. ZZcutter, that process you told me is worth a try too. Thanks a lot!:) Pete B, I was doing some bulino on some buffalo nickels. I'm getting some better results now with the advice here and hope to soon have this hurdle overcame and try doing some other things too. I'm curious about the heat oxidation, that sounds like it makes it permanent, almost a part of the base metal. Beathard and SamW, thank-you also for the advice on the renaissance wax with a dash of lamp black. I'm making note of that to try too. I did use renaissance wax after inking and that didn't work too well, so that sounds like a better way to do it, mixed in with the wax. I know that stuff dries hard too, so it should also be durable. Hi, Layne...just read your post along with all the others I'm addressing and I'm going to buy some "Rub n Buff" now. That sounds like it has good potential. I'm adding that to my list and going to try all of these to see which works best for what I'm doing. I'll fur sure watch what I get it on where it's so hard to get off. Anyway, I want to thank everyone for all the wonderful advice, this place sure is the best for getting help and I know where to come to with any problems I may run into.:) Thanks for everyone and also for those I may have missed and not gotten to thank, I still read everything.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Ink, paint or Sam Welch's recipe of Renaissance wax and lampblack or printer toner would be fine for darkening background stippling and for increasing contrast in shading, but I feel that adding ink or paint to bulino would be like hiding your light under a bushel.

The beauty of bulino is in the fine detail and the control of light reflection, much of which will be lost under the ink.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Actually you can have something very dark. Inking will help but no part is going to appear darker once ink that it was when you were taking a good angle with light (projecting shadow) most likely your dot density is too light. I did find out that it is convenient and practical to use the line and dot technique to attain the appropriate result
I am posting two pictures one more or less the real size (about a quarter, 26 mm) and the other much larger, on the upper right corner is the picture of a quarter to help with the proportion.

bird-2.jpg bird-2.jpg

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Actually you can have something very dark. Inking will help but no part is going to appear darker once ink that it was when you were taking a good angle with light (projecting shadow) most likely your dot density is too light. I did find out that it is convenient and practical to use the line and dot technique to attain the appropriate result
I am posting two pictures one more or less the real size (about a quarter, 26 mm) and the other much larger, on the upper right corner is the picture of a quarter to help with the proportion.

View attachment 32632 View attachment 32633
Beautiful work! Please keep those videos coming.

Saludos,
Carlos

Sponsors