Critique Request 1st hobo on a buffalo nickel

jeanluc83

I'm almost a month into carving nickels. Add that to my other engraving experience its up to ... well almost a month.

So here is my latest attempt and my first try on a buffalo nickel.

IMG_0898.jpg

The things that stand out to me that need work are the background by the back of the neck, the ear is a little off and I'm not sure I like how the hair and beard came out. The hat came out fairly nice but the front brim still looks a little off and smaller than the back.

I'm happy with the depth I was able to achieve around the hat. Over all I'm satisfied with it but I see lots of room for improvement.

What do you think? Any input or advice?

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
Looks good! Your carvings will definitely get better the more you carve. A lot of it just has to do with plain ole' practice and understanding how the tools cut. As long as you have fun at what you are doing and you are proud of what you have accomplished that that is all that matters. That is what this hobby is about. Keep on carving and showing us your progress.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
notwithstanding the quality you show here, never, never, never-- obliterate the date. to those souls willing to pay for hobos, they pay a whole lot less if the date has been removed.. i say this assuming you will want to sell the hobos when finished. the collectors are a fussy lot, and this is a good thing. it makes those doing the work either get better, or get poorer

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
You are off to a good start, something that I did for years was to display a picture of a ear on the wall of my engraving bench..This would help you on designing a ear on a coin.

jeanluc83

Thanks for the encouragement.

It was years of pocket wear that took the date off this one. I got a batch of no date nickels off ebay for practice. I figured it was no use ruining a perfectly good nickel for practice.

Good tip of keeping a picture of an ear handy. That is a good idea.

I know I'll get there. It is just nice to see if I'm at least on the right track.

jeanluc83

Here's another hot off the press. I'm not sure that it is an improvement but it was good practice.

IMG_0901.jpg

Latest posts

Sponsors