Critique Request Etching freelance chip out ground and new improved steel acid for background removal

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What is your opinion on etching with freelance chip out ground in conjunction with new improved steel acid for background removal.

pros and cons
info from FEGA video

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Do ANY etching or other acid work OUTDOORS... you will quickly find out why, if you do not...

As to my opinion - it's a great technique IF you are properly set up for it and IF you do it on a regular basis. Or at least a fair sized limited run?

If not, it's a PITA.

Brian

And you've got kids around... I'd put this stuff in the same category as plating, stripping, electro-etching, mercury gilding and refining - NOT kid friendly.

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Why a fair size limited run? Shelf life?
the acid is obviously corrosive and done out doors, but what about the chip out ground?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've got some ground that's a coupla years old... haven't looked at it for a while, but even if it thickened, there is a thinner for it.

Acids will still work as they age, but they get weaker and take longer to do the same job they did when fresh.

Some acid mixtures do not have a long shelf life, but those aren't mixtures you'd use for background etching anyway. Dunno what Cronite's mix is?

B.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've got some ground that's a coupla years old... haven't looked at it for a while, but even if it thickened, there is a thinner for it.

Acids will still work as they age, but they get weaker and take longer to do the same job they did when fresh.

Some acid mixtures do not have a long shelf life, but those aren't mixtures you'd use for background etching anyway. Dunno what Cronite's mix is?

B.

no not familiar

Jim B

I use both the chip out ground and acid from Cronite. I like it but have to admit that I have not tried other brands. For me they have a long shelf life. I can not remember when I last bought but it has been years. I used both yesterday and all worked fine for what I do. I am at the point where I will need to order more.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In my opinion those items listed by Brain as not kid friendly should not fall into the category of self taught. Mistakes in the basics and basic safety measures can have career ending consequences in a heart beat. One minor mistake can leave you using a white cane and being a burden to your loved ones. Go to someone like Brian who will carefully instruct safety as part of the learning. I have, as do many others do scars all over my body from attempting to teach myself things that I had never even seen done.

A word to the wise-who probably won't heed it anyway-Fred

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
was talking to a chemistry teacher, about the product and safety concerning it. I'll be OK in that department, i wanted to know how well it worked to remove the background, the presenter in the video, stated it saved lots of time, just wanted to know if it's worth it, that's all. Thanks for your advice.
Saludos,
Carlos

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was there for that seminar and from what I saw, the process is fairly straightforward and no reason it couldn't be done for small jobs. We talked about using acid techniques for lettering as well and the results were astounding. Haven't gotten around to playing with it though. Have some fun with it and let us know what you think.
LZ

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
only you can determine if it's "worth it" background hogging is time consuming, but safe.you already have the goodies to do this with gravers. doing this with acid- in the myopic view-- only takes a few minutes. bang, you're done ! what sort of time & expense will come your way to just do it on a one-time basis, only a fool would guess. as mentioned earlier, unless you plan to do a lot of this, i personally don't think it's worth it. it does require a bit of experience to determine the variables that govern the outcome. beware the nasty undercutting that may occur !

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was there for that seminar and from what I saw, the process is fairly straightforward and no reason it couldn't be done for small jobs. We talked about using acid techniques for lettering as well and the results were astounding. Haven't gotten around to playing with it though. Have some fun with it and let us know what you think.
LZ
Layne,

Will do, Have to give it a try one day.

Saludos,
Carlos

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's another thing I been meaning to tell you about Carlos...

You need to go to Costco or one of those warehouse stores and get yourself 2 dozen of the 4" thick vinyl binders.

And a full box/case of 3 hole lined paper to fill them with.

This will become the basis of a proper engravers "round 2 it" files... where you store all the ideas you wanna try someday.

Oops... I forgot we're in the computer age now.

Just buy yourself one of those 10T removeable hard drives to start with.

B.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dunno about you... but I've always been one who prefers to control things, hold 'em in MY hand.

You wanna trust yer "cloud", have at it. Trusting also led to the NSA...

I still like the feel of cash better than imaginary funds on a credit card. (and yes, I have both)

B.

I probably won't be around when your cloud crashes, but mark my words - it WILL happen.

Murphys' Law rules our universe... never seen it fail yet.

Last edited:

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think Robert Evans did a seminar on that process a few years ago. You can probably find it on the FEGA website. I have done it some and it needs to be done so that the fumes don't get in your eyes or sinuses. The cronite Steel acid will last for years and so will the chip out ground.
I tried using that system for background removal and decided that I like cutting out the ground better with gravers. No matter what anybody tells you you cannot go deep with that system without undercutting the design. I use it mostly for etching some letters for gold fill. I don't have kids and only selected people are allowed in my shop. In my opinion it is no faster than cutting it out.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think Robert Evans did a seminar on that process a few years ago. You can probably find it on the FEGA website. I have done it some and it needs to be done so that the fumes don't get in your eyes or sinuses. The cronite Steel acid will last for years and so will the chip out ground.
I tried using that system for background removal and decided that I like cutting out the ground better with gravers. No matter what anybody tells you you cannot go deep with that system without undercutting the design. I use it mostly for etching some letters for gold fill. I don't have kids and only selected people are allowed in my shop. In my opinion it is no faster than cutting it out.

Thank you, this is the information people need very useful.

Last edited:

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Cronite also has a reprint "how to" chapter available that gives good instruction on how to use their products.