mistakes and learning curve!

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
ok so I found out my hone isn't square! the hard way :mad: also found out sharpening a 1/8" square graver is difficult at best when your hone isn't square to the fixture you are using :beatup:...so now I gotta build a new hone a true one lower RPM and SQUARE the fixture I fabricated im sure is adequate but the ding dang hone has gotta go. I do have an alternative though...place my laps on a gauge plate (tooling stone) and use my fixture manually :thinking: working in theory here what do you fine people think?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
The gauge table will work fine... but you may find handsharpening to be more than a little time consuming?

Back before we had anything better we were satisfied. But then Mc Donalds came along.

Now you can have it your way - RIGHT NOW!

Same thing with power hones and power assisted handpieces...

Once the cat is outta the bag, stuffin' it back in ain't gonna happen.

Besides, time is money. If it takes an hour to make a graver from a blank one way or 5 minutes to make one the other way - which do you suppose is gonna win out in the end? (providing the finished product is exactly equal)

Brian

Is there no way to true up the power hone you've already made?

Last edited:

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
The gauge table will work fine... but you may find handsharpening to be more than a little time consuming?

Back before we had anything better we were satisfied. But then Mc Donalds came along.

Now you can have it your way - RIGHT NOW!

Same thing with power hones and power assisted handpieces...

Once the cat is outta the bag, stuffin' it back in ain't gonna happen.

Besides, time is money. If it takes an hour to make a graver from a blank one way or 5 minutes to make one the other way - which do you suppose is gonna win out in the end? (providing the finished product is exactly equal)

Brian

Is there no way to true up the power hone you've already made?
I guess I could try to re align directly to the face of the motor that may solve the issue new container/box for motor may solve the issue alignment wasn't an issue with the motor being used as a power burnisher for my leatherwork..maybe directly attached to the tabletop that should take care of the alignment just have to look at clearances...hmm looks like I got the tail and am holding on tight!

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
sanch,

You remind me of me, reinventing the wheel, ive heard it from many here, Brian is right time is money and if not money now, valuable lost learning time you could be spending actually cutting, but its the journey of just doing it that is satisfying, oh well as long as you enjoy it. but im not going to let you win in the most tools section, this is between me and Brian.....mano a mano:)

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
ahhhhhh...no (lowers head) but you can soon add a small cnc, and a 2 x72 belt grinder that swivels from vertical to horizontal....(raises his hand from a wrestling sleeper hold to indicate he's not out, after a count of two) wow what drama...hahahah let me be in my fantasy world its my story and im sticking to it....love ya Brain

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yeah putting up with me! just not sure if that job pays enough tho. sorry Sanch highjacking your thread

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
AMK model ?? its their new 2015 model, I'm one of the first to get the rotating version, i think thier old model is the amk77 on YouTube, getting it with a 14 inch wheel. Variable speed of course.

Saludos,
Carlos

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One tip Carlos... I have spent 40 years at this.

You CAN get too spread out. And you can tie up a LOT of money in tools very quickly - as you have found.

You eventually have to choose which direction you are gonna concentrate on - or you will be mediocre (at best) at all of them.

How is your drawing coming along? Pencils and paper are cheap. But they are the foundation of everything you will ever make or engrave...

B.

The fat boy that can't stay outta the candy store... (I'm actually a beanpole, 6' that weighs maybe 155 after XMas, wet)

Last edited:

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
JACKERS! YOU JACKED MY THREAD!! LOL! well I'm back to say I mounted the hone motor to the bottom surface of my table and hope it works now it looks to be true as I measured the distance with a 1" block of steel...only time and another ruined graver blank will tell!

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
First you have to start with a sharp graver... work on that problem right now.

Potatoes are only helpful to resharpen when the graver is left in 'em overnight.

Brian

The potato thing seems to work better when you are only 16-17 years old... and still believe most everything you are told.

Also, I've never heard of it happening anywhere else but in Victor Vasquez's shop in San Jose, CA.

Kinda like the "Mystery Spot" down in Santa Cruz... the laws of physics are suspended.

It's California, what can I say? And Vic was Vic...

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a learning curve can't exist without misteaks, errurs, or disasters of untold megnitoode !

Latest posts

Sponsors