Help, please: using hand gravers in quickchange handpiece holders?

mcengraving

I'm attempting to jump into sharpening this evening and I have boxes and boxes full of these gravers that were in wooden handles for hand push engraving. Is there a way I can use these with my magnum 901 handpiece with quick change holders? Do they have to be shortened? Can I just round out the ends to fit in the quick change holders? Appreciate any help... thank you guys! I'm using a standard grs sharpening fixture I don't have a dual angle.

Attachments

• 20150126_180451.jpg
    20150126_180451.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 210

mcengraving

e.c. muller curved gravers?

Also I have several of these e.c. muller curved gravers that all appear to be flat gravers. What are these typically used for ? Any info on them?

Attachments

• 20150126_181921-1.jpg
    20150126_181921-1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 207

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
So, the short answer is "Yes", but it may be that you haven't seen any answers yet because the 'simple' question you asked actually takes a broad number of processes and skills to actually get there. As a Harley builder, I'm sure that you appreciate that!

The good news is, I don't think that anyone here would argue that learning to sharpen a graver is the most important technical piece to start with (except perhaps drawing). May I suggest that you consider Meek's book, or Sam's hour long sharpening video? Given the price of gravers, this isn't an area you want to learn by total experimentation.

Good luck, and good for you for starting with sharpening!

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Get one blank and make one 90 degree graver, it's easier to learn to control than a 120. Get what had been recommended before, for example Sams sharpening dvd, one step at a time, one step, save all those gravers you'll need them in a year or more

They can all be adapted, but that will come later.

Saludos,
Carlos

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Any of your gravers can be adapted to the GRS QC collet. Just grind down the back end of the graver so the shank fits the collet. See GRS' site and have a look at the QC gravers and grind yours to look like those.

HOWEVER, at this point you should be using a square graver. Forget the rest for now. Learn to sharpen and control a square and come back to the other shapes later on. If you don't have a square in the mix then buy one (or two or 3 or 4). The square (or 105 or 120...all V-point gravers) will be your workhorse graver.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There ya go, that dvd will greatly expand your knowledge, all you need now is to have one in the hands to study

Saludos,
Carlos

mcengraving

Thank you sam. I have several square gravers just need to sharpen them. Do they need to be a specific length from the end of the collets? They're very long.

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Also I have several of these e.c. muller curved gravers that all appear to be flat gravers. What are these typically used for ? Any info on them?

The top one with two sets of numbers is called a liner. Check the belly - bottom. you will see lines - rows. Often used in lettering, and also shading. Check closely your other flats for the two sets of numbers or the rows - lines on the bottom. Sometimes the rows - lines are fine and hard to see. Separate them and put them aside for later. Don't convert them into regular flat gravers since they cost extra and are nice to have.

The curve is to give you clearance without adding a lift angle. Clearance raises your hand higher off the work surface when cutting.

Sponsors