Another update! closer still!

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
This is a quick update on my bench/stand. Basically bench top cut and painted, also I was able to get a good friend and instructor (machinist) to turn me a ingravers block it is 1018 steel 7" diameter and 36.6lbs I am currently putting together a sandbag for the block and have a vise on order I am still moving forward! As always all commentsection are welcomed! !

Attachments

• 20150123_232948-1.jpg
    20150123_232948-1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 404
  • 20150123_232933-1.jpg
    20150123_232933-1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 409

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If the surface (where your engraved piece will sit) isn't roughly in the centre of what would be a sphere on your block; you may want to consider shaving some off the top, or changing the profile of the sphere.
That's assuming you will be using a scope. It will prevent your centre from pulling out of focus when you tilt it.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am currently putting together a sandbag for the block

You might find that a small lawn mower tire of the correct thickness and diameter might hold the block better than a sand bag. It's an idea anyway. :)

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
You might find that a small lawn mower tire of the correct thickness and diameter might hold the block better than a sand bag. It's an idea anyway. :)

thanks I considered this but decided to go the bag route the bag has one side (flesh side out) and one grain side out, I think the weight of the ball (hoping) should aid in "traction"....if not..lawn mower will be missing a wheel! I also have a $36 3'" drill press cradle angle vise on order from sears it will bolt directly to the turn table when used...so I'm hoping I have all angles covered (no pun intended)

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
research the brady block, cut some dovetails on the top and just use thermo lock to hold your items, just an idea

Saludos,
Carlos

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ugh ! glad you didn't ask for help carrying that. i'll go a step farther than doc-- either line the tire with a small sheet of ptfe, or-- just get your machinist pal to make you a socket or "tire" out of a chunk of industrial nylon or such plastic. with the leather bag you'll likely ruin your wrist turning the beast and reorienting it. beware- wrist tunnel syndrome, a disease i just invented. i like my vise to very smoothly reorient, and it does so with very little effort. i can do this on the fly without stopping. many possibilities for this ball. cool stuff.

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
research the brady block, cut some dovetails on the top and just use thermo lock to hold your items, just an idea

Saludos,
Carlos
Carlos, that is what my intention is to do but, I am not going to make such large dove tails in the top. I plan on using my angle grinder and making some 1/8" grooves in it in both directions perpendicular to each other spaced 1/2" to 1/4" apart about 1/8" deep I will test this and if it works with hot glue first then I will step up to Thermo Loc I have sourced a company that sells it CHEAP 5lbs for $27 but shipping is high and they ship from California....

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
ugh ! glad you didn't ask for help carrying that. i'll go a step farther than doc-- either line the tire with a small sheet of ptfe, or-- just get your machinist pal to make you a socket or "tire" out of a chunk of industrial nylon or such plastic. with the leather bag you'll likely ruin your wrist turning the beast and reorienting it. beware- wrist tunnel syndrome, a disease i just invented. i like my vise to very smoothly reorient, and it does so with very little effort. i can do this on the fly without stopping. many possibilities for this ball. cool stuff.
Thanks! the weight issue is going to be taken care of by the stand/bench as it is a "potters wheel" style the reason I went with the "ball" shape is more for articulation....I hope!

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
The problem you are going to have with hot glue, Thermoloc or any of the other thermoplastics is that at this moment you have a huge cold mass to warm up...

in order for any of them to "stick" or release.

That is why folks use fixtures... they are removable, some are adjustable, smaller, and they transfer heat quickly...

Brian

Last edited:

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
The problem you are going to have with hot glue, Thermoloc or any of the other thermoplastics is that at the moment you have a huge cold mass to warm up...

That is why folks use fixtures... they are removable, some are adjustable, smaller, and they transfer heat quickly...
Brian

interesting...how well are the "thermoplastics" at sticking to room temp objects? if I need to a wood layer can be added to the top no problem there three holes drilled and tapped 1/4 20 and bam..bolt on fixtures!

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
The problem you are going to have with hot glue, Thermoloc or any of the other thermoplastics is that at this moment you have a huge cold mass to warm up...

Brian

@ Brian thermal mass was not an issue at all!

Latest posts

Sponsors