How long did it take you to become proficient with hammer and chisel?

How long did it take you to become proficient with H&C?

• 0-6 Months

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • About 1 Year

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • About 2 Years

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • About 5 Years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >10 years; still getting better!

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
How long did it take you to become "proficient" with a hammer and chisel? (i.e. produce work you were proud of using just manual equipment with no air or spring assisted "helpers")

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It might take a few weeks to get proficient with hammer & chisel. Maybe more, maybe less depending on your hand-eye coordination, etc. What will most likely be the biggest success/happiness factor is the artwork you're laying out.

DAK4442

Elite Cafe Member
The mechanics with hammer and chisel take only a few days. It's the design, artistry and knowledge that takes a lifetime...Dan

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I started my apprenticeship in August of 1979 & cut my first gun in October of that year.
I was working under the direct supervision of a Master engraver.... I doubt I would have made it that far that fast on my own.

Weldon

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
I am not proficient at hand and chisel work. I personally use a Lindsay air graver. I would say that the time period needed to learn will depend on the individuals natural innate ability to learn new hand skills as well as the hours per day spent practising.

Sponsors