Scientific instrument engraving

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
Has any one ever done any restoration or recreated vintage brass scientific instruments or navigational devices? I would like to know what kind of tool you would use for marking off divisions such as would be on a ruler or protractor made of brass. neat clean straight lines and spaced about 1/16 in. I would think that a 90 would be to wide to cut deep enough to stand up to wear. I will be trying different things on a practice plate but was wondering if any one has done this. any suggestions?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For a lot of things I'd think you'd use a very narrow flat, or one of the specialized gravers that Marcus and some of the other more experienced engravers have shown - a V graver with a narrow flat ground along the bottom. The flat bottomed V gives you the nice, flat line but with beveled edges and a bit more control.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if you're getting worried about longevity, fear not. most such equipment is handled with care from the start. if you're producing much of a curl when cutting, i'd think it would be ok. if doing reproductions of preexisting instruments,--- same deal.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
big_refractor-sm.jpg

I engraved an eyepiece adapter for the Big Refractor telescope at Harvard University. I used a 120° graver and flat graver. For what you're wanting to do any V-graver should work just fine.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
beautiful piece of jewelry for a really big scope.quite fun to do such a job i'd think.

Latest posts

Sponsors