Speaking of books

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
FYI. The Ganoksin project, has a large number of old books on engraving jewelry,metalwork,etc
Ready to download cheap :clapping:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Yep, there's lots of 'em. Lindsay has a section full of free ones, each metalsmithing discipline that has a "group" or forum has more of 'em.

And not just in English!

German, Italian, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, etc., etc., etc....

Only group I stay away from are the "university" metalsmiths. The ones who teach it, but have never made a living at it. (and never will, 'cause it doesn't pay as well nor have "benefits")

And SNAG. The "Society of North American Goldsmiths". Who apparently have no idea what a goldsmith is...

Their "Metalsmith" magazine cover generally features "art" made of fur, feathers, plastic, concrete, string, glass - anything BUT metal!

Yes, there is a place for such "art" stuff, but don't be putting it on the cover of a magazine named "Metalsmith"... that's a bit of false advertising.

Brian

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Only group I stay away from are the "university" metalsmiths. The ones who teach it, but have never made a living at it. (and never will, 'cause it doesn't pay as well nor have "benefits")

And SNAG. The "Society of North American Goldsmiths". Who apparently have no idea what a goldsmith is...

Their "Metalsmith" magazine cover generally features "art" made of fur, feathers, plastic, concrete, string, glass - anything BUT metal!

Back in the 70's I visited the Art Department at UND in hopes I could learn something from them. I had heard they were teaching silversmithing and goldsmithing. One short visit was all it took to find out they didn't have a clue but they were teaching it anyway. A prime example of "Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach." :)

About all they were doing was bending silver wire into shapes with pliers and flattening it with a hammer. A pair of ear wires and they had crappy looking earrings! :)

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Back in the 70's I visited the Art Department at UND in hopes I could learn something from them. I had heard they were teaching silversmithing and goldsmithing. One short visit was all it took to find out they didn't have a clue but they were teaching it anyway. A prime example of "Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach." :)

About all they were doing was bending silver wire into shapes with pliers and flattening it with a hammer. A pair of ear wires and they had crappy looking earrings! :)

More like "those that teach collect a paycheck cause "I got a degree" to teach."

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep, for what used to be "traditional" silversmithing, that is a good book Dave.

Shawn, what exactly are you looking for in the way of silversmithing? Do you wanna go off in a different direction?

Old school hammer & stake raising and forming isn't of much use for the work you are currently making/engraving.

Brian

Oppi Untracht wrote "Jewelry - Concepts & Technology" - the "bible" for metalsmiths of all persuasions. (Excepting those mentioned above, who prefer to work in feathers, hair and epoxy resins featured in the Metalsmith magazine)

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm no gold/silversmith but Amayak Stepanyan told me that he learned the trade in Russia by studying The Theory and Practice of Goldsmithing by Erhard Brepohl. The original German text has been recently translated into English.
http://www.ganoksin.com/kosana/brephol/
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0961598492/qid=1024809115/sr=1-1/theganoksinpr-20"

For those who don't know of Amayak's work here is a link to some Google images:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ama...i=49q_VICrCMOwggSs2ICQCQ&ved=0CCkQsAQ&dpr=0.9

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, Brepohl's book is definitely a good one too. I have them in both languages.

Probably best for complicated fabrication and fitting up parts.

Nowadays, a lot of that is simply bypassed by laser tacking parts in place, then flooding the join with solder.

Brian

Makes things far more interesting for the bench jeweler who may have to remove a part years later... you can't see under the solder - and if it's welded, well, you learn a few new swear words.

Last edited:

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
I have a copy of the book Jewelry concepts and technology and consider it to be the most complete book on the subject available anywhere. That said; nothing beats learning techniques from a master goldsmith/silversmith directly. There is so much a master of his trade can teach that you will never find in any books. Many techniques may be uniquely adapted to the individual using them due to the need to solve particular problems. This type of information is worth more than books in my honest opinion. Most however will not or can't afford to spend time teaching others. Some I have found to be a bit aloof and unwilling to share "secrets" learned through many years of study/experimentation.
Try to find a well respected silversmith willing to help in the area of expertise you want to study. It will be worth it!

Sponsors