Another Lucky find Down Under?

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Just bought these two books for $80.00 free postage on EBay.au, they where $ 60 bucks each but he took my offer of $40.00 each, from what I have seen on Google, it seems they are the first edition ones, 1974,1975 would that be correct? the dust jacket on the ones I bought don't look as good as these, but the books he says they are in good condition, money back if I am not happy, so nothing to loose I guess, good purchase?, any comments?,

Richard.

Attachments

• The book of winchester engraving.jpg
    The book of winchester engraving.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 288
  • The book of colt engraving.jpg
    The book of colt engraving.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 288

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Winchester book ranges from $227.23 + $3.99 shipping to $250.00 + $3.99 shipping in Used - Very Good condition on Amazon. So, it sounds like a very good deal to me.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You did very well! Those books run $200.-300. easily. My engraving book collection has turned out be be a good investment. These sorts of books are usually published in limited numbers and typically the publisher does not find it financially feasible to make a second printing. As an example, my first book, American Engravers, sold for $30. in 1980. Today, that book usually sells in the $200. range for a well used copy and a like new, uncirculated copy went for $400. at auction. My 2010 book, American Engravers-The 21st Century, was published at $75. It is now out of print and sells on the secondary market for over $100.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
The problem with the valuation of the books comes up when you decide you want to sell a collection... as did Mitch, here a while back.

He got ridiculous offers from people who should know better.

A book or two seems to work for getting a fair market price - but not 20 or 50 or hundreds as in my case...

Dribbling them out there one or two at a time seems the only way.

Brian

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Excepting that you won't get half from a professional dribbler. More like a quarter... if you're really lucky.

I've checked.

I have a fairly large library, not just gun & engraving - probably 50+ specialized jewelry/metalsmithing categories as well.

22 bookshelves, every one overflowing...

More than half out of print, limited editions or "rare"...

B.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Excepting that you won't get half from a professional dribbler. More like a quarter... if you're really lucky.

I've checked.

I have a fairly large library, not just gun & engraving - probably 50+ specialized jewelry/metalsmithing categories as well.

22 bookshelves, every one overflowing...

More than half out of print, limited editions or "rare"...

B.

If you have the time, you can always dribble them out on Amazon as you decide to sell them or if you decide to sell them. Be sure to let your potential heirs know their value so they don't end up in a garage sale with 50 cent stickers on them. :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'll mak yerr life easy-- send them to me-- i'll check to make sure they're not fake copies !

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys, I don't think the seller new what he had, he had them listed as K. L. Wilson, I have been watching them for a couple of weeks, but wasn't sure to get them or not, the dust jackets?/Wallets? are not in good condition, I should get then next Tuesday, I will keep you posted.

You did very well! Those books run $200.-300. easily. My engraving book collection has turned out be be a good investment. These sorts of books are usually published in limited numbers and typically the publisher does not find it financially feasible to make a second printing. As an example, my first book, American Engravers, sold for $30. in 1980. Today, that book usually sells in the $200. range for a well used copy and a like new, uncirculated copy went for $400. at auction. My 2010 book, American Engravers-The 21st Century, was published at $75. It is now out of print and sells on the secondary market for over $100.

Thanks Roger, I did see the Winchester one sold at auction for US$300.00, but these will be keepers for me, I will keep an eye on your books, you never know your luck, ;)

cheers,

Richard.