getting closer. ..

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
OK so I have been having more fun than should be legal getting all things together for this new hobby/habit and I needed a place for the work to go so I decided to fab up a work bench. I need it to be small and movable so I can move it out of the way when I'm doing any of my other hobby/habits. We had an eliptical machine that had blown bushings and wasn't being used as it was garbage soo...I frankensteined it into a potter wheel type of bench, it will have a table top of sorts (probably 3/4" plywood topped with shower wall vinyl) for now here's a pic of the progress also it will have neumatic seat height adjustment courtasy of an old computer chair that I had. As always all comments are welcomed

Attachments

• 20150118_165458.jpg
    20150118_165458.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 279
  • 20150118_165522-1.jpg
    20150118_165522-1.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 276
  • 20150117_194651.jpg
    20150117_194651.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 278

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
beautiful project. a great use for a societal reject. i've always wondered how smoothly these would work when doing a scroll. please to inform us when you use it. judging by what i see, it looks as though the bearing surfaces would be smooth. thanks for the show.

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
Looks good! Any leather carving going on it?

as a matter of fact I am currently working on a "tractor style" seat and pillion combo for a 1966 FLH Electraglide the TS has a tooled skirt and the "P" pad will have some purple roses on it, customer is a buddy so he gets the "family" discount

Thanks for all the kind words on this project! I have changed the seat post and added the cylinder that is pneumatic...also will start machining a tool makers vise soon, they cost less than a proper vise to purchase but I'm cheap so im gonna make one!

Toad

Elite Cafe Member
I would make the wheel on the bottom a larger diameter to allow your foot more access. One foot will become the brake most often and the other will make it turn. You will want a pad(peice of plywood) to the right and left of the foot wheel to put your heels on. Bill Mains is credited with the design in 1957. The only one I have ever used was his. I liked it a lot. He had a 2 jaw lathe chuck on top. The shaft was supported by pillow block bearings. I hope this helps.
Todd

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
I would make the wheel on the bottom a larger diameter to allow your foot more access. One foot will become the brake most often and the other will make it turn. You will want a pad(peice of plywood) to the right and left of the foot wheel to put your heels on. Bill Mains is credited with the design in 1957. The only one I have ever used was his. I liked it a lot. He had a 2 jaw lathe chuck on top. The shaft was supported by pillow block bearings. I hope this helps.
Todd
Still working on her, she is gonna have the factory "foot pads" from the elliptical machine on either side to have a place for my feet when not turning the wheel. I kept the two wheels the same size to have more of a one to one ratio. every part used is from the original machine except the seat it will be an old chair I repurposed....I'm sure eventually I will have to put some flange style bearings on it but meh it's all been free as of yet..as a side note I built a Leach style potters wheel years ago and it was similar (yep I dabbled in ceramics also)

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Any project is way to develop you skills and the result you have your own experience and pleasure to work with.
Thank you for showing your idea

Latest posts

Sponsors