Push graver questions

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Martin: That's pretty impressive! I used to be pretty good with a hand graver, but I was never that fast. And you're on a curved surface, too! Thanks for sharing your video.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for posting that video Martin. It really shows what I was trying to describe on another thread. We can see the tappered graver and hear the burs springing out of the cut. The only other observation is that you are a lucky guy only having to engrave the action. When I engrave rifles the actions have the barrels attached which means you can't swing them and work at the speed you are.

PS_Bond

Elite Cafe Member
I may be misunderstanding what I'm seeing, but it looked almost as if the burrs were being flicked out diagonally? That's one area that is still giving me gyp on copper - with deeper cuts, I can't always get the burr to break cleanly and I'm not sure why.

As for the comments on sticking yourself with a graver - haven't done in a while. Learning on a sandpad, I pushed the tool too hard when I was tired & put the graver through the side of my index finger... Oops. Now I've got a vice, I can keep my left hand below the path of the graver - although I don't slip anything like as often.

Sponsors