restoration question.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have an old buffalo pad. good shape, except the pad it seems, has dried out quite a bit. the paper lid has instructions, but somewhat illegible. anybody know how to inject life back into the pad. i don't intend on using it for actual work.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I wish GRS would take advantage of their plastic injection molding capability to bring back the buffalo pad. Except instead of a gelatin pad, use the sticky plastic used for the wall walker toys.

In your case you might be able to make a new pad - the originals are just gelatin.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
It's the padding under the rope between the buffalo and your butt... just ask Leonard.

He still rides 'em when he's not on his fuel injected dragster tractor. (the one that uses the parachute brake at the end of a row)

B.

In actuality it is an old transfer method usually used in sterling flatware engraving... Sam has one he put up here on the forum sometime back...

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

monk

Staff member
carlos: my pad is uglier than docs', but my foto is way prettier than his fuzzy focus one ! the white powder that shows is lead oxide or maybe carbonate. the entire piece is cast in lead. i'm guessing the little chambers held transfer wax, colored powders, whatever. before doing anything, i'm going to clean up the lead, and maybe coat it with wax or varnish.
kc: where would one find such a material you mentioned ? the one i have appears to have been a sponge or sponge-like material. it's kinda gunky looking . sorta like what sick possums leave behind !

Attachments

• IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 210

Toad

Elite Cafe Member
A friend of mine has one that he found in unused condition. He soaked the pad in some sort of gelatin. He did smoke pulls with it. Sometimes he got 3 pulls before he had to do another smoke pull from the original spoon.

Todd

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk, get some unflavored Knox Gelatin and mix it up with just enough hot water to dissolve it. It should make a stiff but pliable gel. I bet it would work.

monk

Staff member
first: doc you're a great help to the youngsters as well as some of the old far- s on the forum. thanks for all that you have shared. i guess i owe an apology for downplaying your photographic skills.. also the thought of using the gelatin never crossed what's left of my mind. a bit of cuervo and lime jello i think i'll try first. then a bit of chivas with chocolate if the cuervo doesn't taste right.
marrinan: thanks for that. if the gelatin thing doesn't work, i'll give them a try.