Critique Request Beginner Drawing. Input wanted

Darden

I have just started learning from Kevin Elkins on this silversmithing stuff. Making some jewelry and wanting to get into buckles, spurs, bits, and jewelry. I want to engrave as well I have a Lindsay artisian but havnt got a vice yet. But as well I don't want to engrave untill I get the design aspect down of basic scrolls. These are my 10th drawings and I would just like some advice on how I can improve. Thanks! Kye

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You're heading in the right direction, but don't worry about shading lines at this point. Concentrate on making the scrolls perfect with all of the internal elements drawn to perfection, then learn to shade properly. One thing you're doing well that most fledgling designers struggle with is a proper proportional spiral of the scroll backbone. You are very close in that regard which is good. Keep drawing.

Hayes

Darden, another good book and CD to consider is "Art & Design Fundamentals by Lee R. Griffiths". You can purchase the book and CD from www.Brownnell.com.

good luck and happy trails

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
learning as you have is going in a good direction.. like sam, i'd not waste time on drawing the shading. even on an actual part, adding shade lines just wastes time ( at least for me). i cut the main shade line with a bit of care, the rest just fall in place.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
DRAW THE SHADE LINES !!!
You are not up to speed yet, that will come later, IF you keep at it.
My buddy doesn't bother with sketches or drawing on the object to be engraved, he just cuts it.
Me, I need all the help/practice that I can get !

Darden

Thank you all for the input I really appreciate it. I will look into the books mentioned for sure.
Thanks again,
Kye

Sponsors