scibe holder, pen style for bulino/scrimshaw source

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looking for a scribe holder to hold a 1/16 size scribe, something that I can easily remove to sharpen and replace.

Thanks for the help.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the link, I bought one from Sandra Brady's website, spoke to her and her scribe holder will do the job, plus it helps support fellow engravers.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the threads on such an inexpensive item, esp of aluminum, will likely wear prematurely, and will not have a good grip. for this work, one can't rely on a wobbly point. shown is one i have used way over 30 years.. it's plated brass. will take from about .020 t0 .125". you want to get one of brass or steel. the hobby loby has them, as does micro mark they're around 5-8 bucks. these don't work loose !!
the other is an old trammel point found at a flea market. i soldered it in a brass tube. i rounded the point and it works very well at any angle and direction. i don't like sharp points, as they will sometimes dig in.

Attachments

• point holder.JPG
    point holder.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 240
  • scribe.JPG
    scribe.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Coulter Precision sells scrimshaw handles and the points, but their handles are designed for 1/8 inserts. You can find them on eBay, they use set screws to hold theirs in place. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRINTMAKING...598577854?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item3ce87d84be

I made one for a friend of mine, he wanted a different designed handle, I drilled the end of 3/8" brass hex rod, then drill and tapped for the set screw. He then used a file to round the end and shape it to his "design". Why I don't know, because the last time I saw it he had added one of those rubber pencil wraps to it.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Can someone explain if this thread is speaking about BULINO on steel? If so, is the intent to remove steel dots or make dot impressions (mini itty bitty dents?) Can someone show a picture of this technique using the scribe tool while doing bullion on steel? I have only ever seen it done with a graver in a push tool with no heel and a very tiny point BUT still a diamond ended point (geometry of preference 90-120).

As I am totally open minded to new things this thread has caught my attention..

Donny

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Can someone explain if this thread is speaking about BULINO on steel? If so, is the intent to remove steel dots or make dot impressions (mini itty bitty dents?) Can someone show a picture of this technique using the scribe tool while doing bullion on steel? I have only ever seen it done with a graver in a push tool with no heel and a very tiny point BUT still a diamond ended point (geometry of preference 90-120).

As I am totally open minded to new things this thread has caught my attention..

Donny
Chis Decamillis has some awsome videos, Sandra Brady has some also, also very very good.
worth every penny

Saludos,
Carlos

Latest posts

Sponsors