Question: Lindsay and GRS graver compatibility

firehawk1722

Hello, this question is in regards to beginner tool purchasing. I am interested in the art, but have limited means for equipment. I wanted to try out a bit of hand push engraving and was looking at the Lindsay site and the GRS site and am very confused about which graver blades can work in a manual handpiece and the pneumatic one. If my interest persists, I would try to get an Airgraver classic, and wanted to make sure I didn't buy any graver blades that were not compatible with it. How do the gravers seat into the handpiece? Is there a special size it has to be? If you own an Airgraver, please explain how they attach, and a list of gravers you use in it would be very appreciated. Thanks

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Both accept the 3/32 square blanks, both are good options, if you have more specific questions call Steve or email him good customer service, GRS is also a great tool, Aron can help you out if you give him a call at GRS. I own both and I was asked the other day If I had to get rid of one which would it be, I cannot both have advantages over the other none is better......you make your choice either one you cant go wrong.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
As far as I know you'll be good to go with 3/32" square shank gravers but GRS' round shank variety might not adapt. Just be aware that most of the gravers GRS is now manufacturing have round shanks.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the lindsay will accept any shaft round or square that doesn't exceed 3/32". even the old style engravers work in a lindsay if you grind the back .5-.75" to fit in. the older gravermeister will accept darn near anything short of a crowbar. both companies will send you info --snail mail--or online.the only problem with round gravers, actually easy to fix-- a flat area should be ground on the top of the shank. this "flat" assures correct indexing of the graver when using sharpening systems. sharpening systems are to be advised. the grs is better, i think-- as it permits any geometry one would want. the lindsay system is good, but each geometry requires a separate template that works only with that particular geometry.

Sam

Staff member
Out of curiosity, Why is GRS making the shanks mostly round?

I can't speak for GRS but what I can tell you is that they're now making different QuickChange holders that closely fit the various size round shank gravers they're making. When used with the EasyGraver sharpening fixture or the Dual Angle fixture with the latest QC adapter, the gravers can be relocated perfectly each time you resharpen. This was not so easy to do with traditional gravers that were held in the jaws of the Dual Angle fixture. With round shanks we're no longer clamping on the graver itself when resharpening. We're plugging its QC holder into the fixture and this is a most welcomed upgrade. It should also be noted that once mounted and sharpened, the graver should spend the rest of its life in that QC holder and never be removed. If you do, then it must be manually relocated which isn't something you want to do.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Interesting way to market more QC collets (since now you're not supposed to switch 'em out), as well as more dual angle fixture "adapters" to take the collets...

With round shanks (other than 3/32") those gravers also won't currently interchange with Lindsay template holding fixtures.
(yes, you can grind indexing flats, but it's another PITA)

Nailed 3 birds with one move to round shanks.

Stay tuned for the next... ummm - installment, or development or competetive edge...?

B.

And probably a new template fixture? Or a second set of non-interchangeable collets? Or both?

Last edited:

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good to have a nice snug fit in the collets.
But supper not handy for moving between systems.
I usually keep a number of faces tho. So if some live in a collet. So be it.

Sam

Staff member
There has been one other Dual Angle adapter for QC holders, but the latest one has a tapered locating tab to prevent side play, and that idea came from the EasyGraver fixture. With perfectly fitting QC holders, the ease and accuracy of sharpening has made my life easier. The round shank gravers themselves are beautifully made little gems. I love 'em.

Also, I would assume that grinding gravers from round stock and keeping the round shank makes for efficient manufacturing.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
all tou need is to index one side of a round graver can be done in a minute, to easy i only use round gravers, I interchange between both systems when I engrave all the time

Saludos,
Carlos

Latest posts

Sponsors