1882 Winchester found

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
If that rifle could only talk what a story it would tell,thanks for sharing. J.J.

JJ Roberts

Navy Arms is introducing the new generation Navy Arms 1873 rifle,my friend Val Forgett has the rifles on display at the Chantilly gun show.The rifles are been made in Japan. J.J.

JJ Roberts

Doc,I'm working on drawings for Val, I have 1873 receiver in the white all polished read to engrave J.J.

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
Ya gotta wonder why? Why did they have the whatever to lean it against a tree but for some reason not go back and retrieve their rifle. If for some reason you couldn't pack it home you wouldn't leave it sitting muzzle up.

It don't make sense. I've known of rifles lost out of saddle scabbards into the snow and such and I've known of rifles found after years of laying out in the middle of the nowhere after having been lost out of a scabbard or such but I've never heard of someone leaning a rifle against a tree and forgetting to take it with them. That's a good mystery.

John

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I saw this on CNN.

JJ Japan? I know were getting better quality item from Japan but it's like buying salsa from NYC somethings just not right.

Saludos,
Carlos

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ Japan? I know were getting better quality item from Japan but it's like buying salsa from NYC somethings just not right.

I have one of the Miroku made Winchester 1885 low walls and it's an excellent rifle by far. Even the Italian made (Uberti) Winchesters are very nice and, I have a couple of those. But, for a real POS... buy an American made Marlin lever action that was made since Remington bought them out. They have to go to a good gunsmith and get worked over before they are useable. Sometimes American Made isn't what it used to be. Besides that... Winchester stopped making lever actions in the USA back in 2006. I'd have one of Val Forgett, Jr's new rifles but they are too pricey and they have a shotgun buttstock. :confused::eek:

Neo Dutch

Elite Cafe Member
You mean that rifle sat unsupervised for so many years? Wonder why it didn't go off on a killing spree.

Neo Dutch

Elite Cafe Member
Many years ago, a tired young officer cadet leant an M60 up against a tree while taking a break during an exercise in a state forest. After a short break the patrol continued on. It was only until much later, when the group made contact with the "enemy" that the would be gunner realised he was unarmed. Yep, it was still up against the tree. The exercise was halted and a search was conducted unsuccessfully. Every weekend for 6 month after, every trainee scoured that forest without any luck. The 60 was thought to be gone. A year later, another tired young officer cadet leant his M60 up against a tree to take a break. When it was time to move on, he turned to take up his weapon only to discover that he had 2 to choose from.

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
The pictures show it with what appears to be modern Orange flagging wrapped around the rear stock .
It may have been their for years but my guess is less than 5 if the flagging was on it when it was left.
That stuff doesnt last that long in the weather.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The pictures show it with what appears to be modern Orange flagging wrapped around the rear stock .
It may have been their for years but my guess is less than 5 if the flagging was on it when it was left.
That stuff doesnt last that long in the weather.

This is the way is was found:

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I assume there was still ammo at least in the magazine.

This story reminds me of all the times I have set a tool down I was using to go do something else and return to spend half an hour looking for the tool I just used 5 minutes ago.

Latest posts

Sponsors