Gustave Young Book?????????

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Given that these pulls were made by Roy Jinks from the S&W collection, it seems that any publication of them is up to Jinks (the S&W historian) and S&W. Jinks is a published author and should be well aware of how to get the collection published if he and his employer want to. At least we now know that there is more than one set of the pulls and given Jinks' position, it is very unlikely that they will be lost to posterity.

Jay Close

Yes, the last thing we want is for Harley to feel hounded about this. His current interest is in getting a family history finished and published, and that alone will be an achievement. As Mr. Bleile states, with the Roy Jinks/Smith and Wesson connection, there is little danger that the material will go astray. As a friend I feel I can continue my gentle nudging, but it would probably take a lawyer to sort out "ownership" of such material.

Jay Close

I just had a long phone conversation with Harley Stone, great grandson of Gustav Young. He asked me to tell the engraving world of his efforts to help preserve the legacy of his engraver ancestors. While he still needs to find a publisher, Harley says he’s 99% done with a book that documents and records the memorabilia and family lore that he inherited. This should make interesting reading for those interested in the American firearms industry and the role of the immigrant tradesman/entrepeneur in its development.

Of perhaps broader interest to this forum is Harley’s collection of pulls/prints taken from the Young engraved firearms in the Smith and Wesson collection. This was the work of Roy Jinks, historian for S and W. who produced two copies: one for Harley and one for himself.

The where abouts of only one copy is currently known and that is in Harley’s hands. He is in discussion with the Museum of Springfield (MA) about depositing the print collection in their archives. He would like to arrange that it be made available to historians, members of his own family, and (most importantly) engravers. If things work as Harley wishes this resource will be in archival storage at the museum and available for study “in perpetuityâ€￾ in the near future.

Harley did hold out the possibility that one day a commercial publication of the print collection may become available, but as he has reached his 90th year, his book on family lore is first priority. Harley’s print collection was actually stolen at one time. He is understandably relieved to have it returned. In the near time, he is looking for a safe, long term repository that will still make the collection available for study. He feels he has found such at the museum in Springfield, Mass.

Latest posts

Sponsors