Playing around with photography

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
mckenzie_tools-sm.jpg

Some of the old tools I have that belonged to McKenzie. Was playing around with photography last night and they seemed like a good subject.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Sam the vastness of your talents are an impetus to continue working towards perfection and at the same time almost self-defeating. In an effort to learn these photographic techniques how and what was used to produce this photograph. Is this the photograph from the camera or has it been "photoshoped" and if so what did you do in photoshop to emphasis your subject matter?

Sam

Staff member
Thanks Roger. Yes it's been photoshopped quite a bit. It's 3 exposures which are merged using photoshop masking techniques. The lighting is done with an iPad and an LED flashlight. No softboxes or fancy photo lighting. Andy Shinosky put me onto this technique awhile back and I've modified the Photoshop process a bit. Andy's excellent tutorial can be found in the Tips Archive, and it'd be easier for your to watch his video than for me to type out how I do it. As I said, I did change the process but the results are pretty much the same. Except for casual shots I'm using this technique for all of my engraving photography.

This one turned out ok, but it's not one of my better ones.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I really like your photography skills you have really motivated me to learn, did this one today.

use the similar technique you use, buy is all done with my phone or ipad, and led light

Saludos,
Carlos

Last edited:

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Well Sam I really thought it outstanding. The little "golden" light at lower center right on the inside of the graver handle table top to me was the composition point that gave importance not to a single item but the theme. Perhaps this is the mind's eye of the beholder. Yes I have studied Andy's light technique and the tutorial but am having to do more tweeking as my subjects are large objects (full guns or parts of guns). My PS is an older version and am thinking towards the "rented" stay updated offering from adobe with Illustrator and other combined in one pkg. Especially now that I have found a commercial artist who has agreed to teach me the use of these programs. Thanks

Sam

Staff member
You're onto it Carlos! Be careful not to blow out those highlights. Shoot a main, evenly illuminated scene shot with the iPad first, then use the LED really low and rake the light sideways. That'll really bring out texture that overhead lighting tends to flatten.

I leave my setup intact so I can go back and re-shoot if I missed something or an object needs more/less light. So it's not uncommon for me to go back and re-shoot during the photoshop processing. When I do, I just load that exposure into the stack and use the part I need.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
this is so "warm" in feeling. dang near an oil painting you've created here. very nice stuff you do !

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautifully job with the vice picture Sam, lot's of character, like an old master, a pro job ;)

Best regards,

Phil

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, very nice photos. I was wondering about the chasing hammer with the pointed rear section. My hammers all have either 2 flat surfaces, or one side with a rounded shape. Is there a special use for the sharp point at back end of the hammer in the photo?

scott99

Sam

Staff member
877552987769451876_379561324.jpg

Hi, very nice photos. I was wondering about the chasing hammer with the pointed rear section. My hammers all have either 2 flat surfaces, or one side with a rounded shape. Is there a special use for the sharp point at back end of the hammer in the photo?

scott99

I guess you're referring to McKenzie's hammer. It's not a sharp point but a flat blade. Not certain why he made it that way but he did learn hammer & chisel from Ken Hunt, and Ken's hammer has a similar shape. Perhaps goldsmiths or silversmiths use the blade side for some task. I've often wondered the same thing.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
As a blacksmith, I use the flat(cross pein) to draw metal, in other words to stretch or thin it out. In my silver work I use it to stretch out the silver to fill an inlay cavity or whatever.
Upon striking the metal an instantaneous pulling motion is executed, thereby stretching or pulling the metal towards you.
A straight or angle pein is used to thin bars by creating numerous divots and then reflattening the bar.

monk

Staff member
one of my favorite hammers is a small combined cross and straight. no good for engraving, but great for forging small stuff.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Thought I'd throw this out there.
Brent Bailey has made me several fantastic hammers.
Anyone wishing to have a top quality, custom made hammer should get with him. Google Brent Bailey Forge.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Sam,What is on the end of the nail to the right of the sand bag in the first picture? looks like a coin. J.J.

Sam

Staff member
Sam,What is on the end of the nail to the right of the sand bag in the first picture? looks like a coin. J.J.

JJ: Lynton would solder a penny to the ends of punches so he could put his index finger on the penny to press downward for trimming gold, etc.

Latest posts

Sponsors