Help, please: Getting comforatble at the bench.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I need suggestions on getting comfortable while engraving. Just got a new adjustable chair like Sam posted back in 07 as his best engraving chair ever. I also use a cut down floor drill press stand and use a microscope with 6 inches of working distance. My old chair caused my legs to go numb and with new chair I have very tight muscles in upper my back after engraving all day. It feels kinda like when I started engraving / it went away eventually. Not sure if this is just something I'll need to get used to or if something can be adjusted. Any suggestions welcome.:biggrin:
P.S. I'm not having very good luck finding what I'm looking for with the forum search / I read a post by Sam that I could use Java script / google search or something. Any help with doing searches will be appreciated also.:biggrin:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Mike,You need to get out of the chair and more around,try engraving standing part of the time it will save your back and your legs from a blood clots. J.J.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I go to Google and type in- "inlaying gold on engravers cafe". Or whatever I need to study. Let Google work for you.

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
Michael you should try stretching before, during and after and stay hydrated I know this sounds funny but if you are serious about feeling better try it. I have spent hours tooling leather and have had some issues similar to you. breaks and stretching helped as well as getting fresh eyes on my work really improved what I do.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I set a timer for every hour. And get up and move around a bit. Bit of range of motion. Or sometimes just make a sand which

Toad

Elite Cafe Member
I stayed at a Hilton hotel a number of years ago. In the room with the desk was a Herman miller mirra chair. I could not get over how comfortable it was. I have wanted that chair ever since, but the price kept me from buying it. Well my back and legs keep reminding me with pain from sitting for a long periods. I bit the bullet and ordered one last week. I can't wait till it gets here. Google the Mirra chair and read about them.
Todd

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
I stayed at a Hilton hotel a number of years ago. In the room with the desk was a Herman miller mirra chair. I could not get over how comfortable it was. I have wanted that chair ever since, but the price kept me from buying it. Well my back and legs keep reminding me with pain from sitting for a long periods. I bit the bullet and ordered one last week. I can't wait till it gets here. Google the Mirra chair and read about them.

These chairs are amazing. My favorite part, other than comfort is the hard plastic seat, if you forget to put your apron on metal chips either fall right through or vacuume right out none of that getting stuck in the cloth you deal with from other chairs.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Seek and ye shall find...A GOOD DEAL !
Here in Texas there is an auction going on now with 6 Mirra chairs, selling in lots of 2 . Bids are at $10 & $15 & $15.
Each bid is for 2 chairs !

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Yeah, well, if I needed to slide off it to find a stone on the floor...

Or didn't look to see exactly where it was before sitting down hard...

IMO, just another attempt to help you lose weight by by moving the money outta yer wallet and into theirs.

What, exactly, David - do you find intriguing about it? Or do you need to lose a little weight?

Brian

Someone needed to... it's out of stock!

Last edited:

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Yes Brian, I find other peoples designs ideas or new perspectives intriguing, I believe it is what keeps us from stagnating and settling with the "status quo".

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Sure, there are tons of designs that are new and "interesting"...

A bench chair needs to be practical IMO.

I personally think I would be wasting time by lifting my butt up every time I need to slide off into the "jewelers praying position", and crawl around on the floor.

And unless you carefully trained yourself to look first before sitting down, this chair could be more than a little "irritating"...

One look was enough for me.

But as it's currently sold out, others must see (or need) something that I do not.

Brian

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'll be at Stuller this year and hope to try that saddle seat chair. That's really interesting.

A few years ago I bought a Herman Miller chair from a consignment shop and it's the best office type chair I've ever used. The seat is too large for bench work (at my bench anyway) but at my desk it's incredibly comfortable. Not sure how it compares to the Mirra chair.

Here's my old thread from 2007: HERMAN MILLER CHAIR

Latest posts

Sponsors