Brand Spanking New

TexasPatriot

I'm brand new to the forum, which by the way, thank you to the creators for giving people a place to share resources. I'm for certain going to need some guidance.

I was originally a tool maker, clasically trained. Have been pent up in an office for about 15 years now and am really passionate about learning the art of hand graving.

I am starting from absolute scratch, all I have is the passion, the willingness to learn and a workshop that's plenty adequate to start building.

Thank you all in advance for your patience :biggrin:

God Bless

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good for you and welcome. Now go to the beginning and read all about what you will need to get started. There are threads that deal specifically with getting started, they are extremely helpful and informative. I hope you stick around for a long time to come. Once you get on your feet, there are opportunities to take lessons from different members and with GRS too. GOOD LUCK and best wishes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
From the technical standpoint, there is no better background for an engraver than being a tool maker. On the other hand it is the art aspect that most struggle with, especially if one has never done anything artistic until maturity. Go through the tips archive and get some books that show high quality engraving. For many beginners, they don't know good from bad and may try to copy the wrong things. Also in the beginning, keep it simple. You will see many complex designs here and trying to duplicate them is like trying to paint the Mona Lisa before you can paint a picture of an apple.

Also click on the link under may name to go to the engraving glossary that will give you all of the tools and terms used in engraving.

Good luck.

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Register for a GRS class, if you like it you continue from there cuz it can get expensive, if you don't will you save yourself a lot of money

bienvenido,

Most if not close to all questions have been asked and answered there are exceptions, make good use of the search button, if one search misses try rewording it, Start from the very first post and work yourself to the most resent, I've done it and it will take you awhile but worth the journey.

Saludos,
Carlos

TexasPatriot

Good for you and welcome. Now go to the beginning and read all about what you will need to get started. There are threads that deal specifically with getting started, they are extremely helpful and informative. I hope you stick around for a long time to come. Once you get on your feet, there are opportunities to take lessons from different members and with GRS too. GOOD LUCK and best wishes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you very very much. I plan on staying a long time. This site is amazing, so much to learn and read, and y'all produce some beautiful work. I can only wish to become an artisan of that caliber. Thanks again for the welcome

TexasPatriot

From the technical standpoint, there is no better background for an engraver than being a tool maker. On the other hand it is the art aspect that most struggle with, especially if one has never done anything artistic until maturity. Go through the tips archive and get some books that show high quality engraving. For many beginners, they don't know good from bad and may try to copy the wrong things. Also in the beginning, keep it simple. You will see many complex designs here and trying to duplicate them is like trying to paint the Mona Lisa before you can paint a picture of an apple.

Also click on the link under may name to go to the engraving glossary that will give you all of the tools and terms used in engraving.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for the welcome, and the technical advice. Frankly it's the artwork I'm most intimidated by. I think the technical aspects, the tooling etc seem straightforward. The art, well....We'll see

TexasPatriot

Hello and welcome,
What engraving interest are you leaning towards firearms, jewelry etc.

I'm interested in all aspects honestly. The art form as a whole has long fascinated me. Being a toolmaker at heart and formerly in practice, obvioulsy I lean towards the detail oriented, and prefer substance over quantity. So I'm open to the entire experience.

Thank you for the welcome!

TexasPatriot

Register for a GRS class, if you like it you continue from there cuz it can get expensive, if you don't will you save yourself a lot of money

bienvenido,

Most if not close to all questions have been asked and answered there are exceptions, make good use of the search button, if one search misses try rewording it, Start from the very first post and work yourself to the most resent, I've done it and it will take you awhile but worth the journey.

Saludos,
Carlos

I would very much like to take some classes. Of course on my list would be learning from Sam as well. I am going to spend a lot of time sifting through the site, reading and taking information in then determine a path forward.

Thank you for the welcome, and helpful advice

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome, patriot. get a looseleaf and start taking notes. there is actually, maybe 90% of all you need to know-- right here. it can be a task, but a rewarding one. make yer book in sections, drawing, tool sharpening/geometry, what gravers to use for this or that, pattern transfer techniques, work holding, and whatever else i forgot to mention. toss a chip on the fire & start reading. good luck
btw: the missing 10% are such things that may be unique to you and few others. by all means, don't be afraid to ask questions.

TexasPatriot

welcome, patriot. get a looseleaf and start taking notes. there is actually, maybe 90% of all you need to know-- right here. it can be a task, but a rewarding one. make yer book in sections, drawing, tool sharpening/geometry, what gravers to use for this or that, pattern transfer techniques, work holding, and whatever else i forgot to mention. toss a chip on the fire & start reading. good luck
btw: the missing 10% are such things that may be unique to you and few others. by all means, don't be afraid to ask questions.

Thank you very much. Frankly this site is a little overwhelming, and at first I got the impression that everyone here was at a level way to high for me to accomplish. It's taking a litle while to realize that A: Everybody started somewhere B: Everybody who wants to master anythinhg NEVER stops learning and C: Thank God there's a place like here for folks like me.

I'm taking everything in as fast as I can, and am really excited that I'm at a point in my life where I can take on learning a craft that I have admired from afar for decades. I am humbled by the handiwork I have seen on here, and appreciative for the outpouring of support and advice thus far.

I will try to search to find what I need before I bug anyone with questions

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Sponsors