hammer & chisel 4 newbie

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i was looking thru my library of dvd's . specifically hunting for sams' one on scroll design. nowhere to be found.i think it was stolen in september.
BUT i came across a very interesting dvd on h&c engraving. it's done by jack brooks. the video quality is not the quality of dvd work done today. but is an excellent training aid for anyone wishing to do h&c. for newbies, i'd say this is an economical "must see". published or sold by the
RE Davis company in perrysburg, ohio on the jacket is redaviscompany.com
i checked the site, & it is still active.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Jack Brooks is a longrifle maker, R. E. Davis is a company in Perrysburg, Ohio outside of Toledo catering to traditional muzzleloading parts etc.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A friend has taken a couple of gunmaking courses from Jack, and sent me his copy of the dvd to watch. It's a very basic course, but poorly produced. Watching it is like watching soap melt. The first time thru, I turned it off after 5 minutes. Later I watched it all the way thru. For the cost, it's probably OK for a rank beginner.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
I think beginners is who it is aimed at, no pun intended. it basic hammer & chisel work.

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Glad you brought that dvd to the new guys attention, Monk...In a post I did a while back, I posted some pics on those dvd in my book/photo post.. The information should at least give the person who wishes to start out a better footing. Its certainly more information than what I could gather back in the seventies. Thank god for this forum that Sam started to give others a much, needed hand..

monk

Staff member
fuzzy fork: where in blazes have you been ? long time no see. nice to hear from you after all this time.

monk

Staff member
yes, richard. as mentioned-- the vid quality is a bit lacking. more importantly, to a newbie- there's much to learn from. far better than nothin at all.

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Illness in family,seems like it goes on and on,left me with little time on my hands,but appears to be getting better.. Have alot of catching up to do.